. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The rockcliff is a good starting point and i would go with it if i was you, welcome to the forums !

Thanks.

It will be a Rockcliff based variant.

I've baulked at the prices folks want for steel rod & bushings to build it...so I'm going back to the skip!

The old 3 dot matrix printers I've stripped have provided me with steppers, limit switches & one rod each (with two bushings). The steel rod is only 320mm long (& 12mm diameter)...so I'll likely make a CNC that's 300mm-ish in the X & Y axis.

I've convinced myself that the shorter axis, will help with rigidity & therefore accuracy.

My problem is that I'm probably not going to be able to lay my hands on another 3 dot matrix printers for a few months yet...so, there's not a whole lot I can do right now.

Since, I'll be altering the dimension in all 3 axis, I won't be buying the plans, but I can get the gist just by looking at the many photos that abound on the web.

Hi Hank,

Welcome to the forum!

I too bought plans from the US (Solsylva 4x2) and other than the basic idea of a short gantry running on raised rails and rack&pinion drive on one axis, I've changed just about everything else:D. I've changed from all wood/ steel pipe and allthread to Steel/PVC, precision round rail and ballscrew and I'm so glad I did. The Plans however contain so much infromation it was worth the purchse for that alone. This is a very friendly site and some really helpful guys, I'm sure you are going to enjoy visiting, I certainly do.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Thread Information