. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Went to use the desktop yesterday (Advent 3516 - MSI Mobo P4 3.06Ghz), and it got past the initial BIOS screen, then came up with an exception and just locked up.

Wouldn't power back of with the button, So I had to unplug it to turn it off. Tried a couple more times, but just the same.

So took cover off, had a bit poke around for any loose wires/connections, unplugged stuff, but still the same.
    Eventually checked to see what the PSU was doing, and it was putting out 7v on what should be the 5V standby wire, but I thought it was the volt sense at the time, so just ignored it (I only dug out the ATX wiring diagram this morning).
    Left it at that and went to work (was on back shift).

Came home, and was just about asleep when the computer powered up by it's own. So just pulled the plug out and ignored it til today.

Purple wire was only putting out 0.25v, so had a search through the old PSU collection, but couldn't find a good one with the extra 4pin 12 connector, so robbed the PSU out the old Packard Bell in the workshop.

Plugged it in, but the mobo only powered up for a couple of seconds before shutting back down. Had a look at the PSU, and noticed it didn't have a -5V wire, so found a known good old style PSU, and bodged a 4pin connector on to it, but the computer still only powers up for a couple of seconds.

It's as though the power button is jammed on, but it tested ok.

Anything else I could try, or would I be right in guessing the mobo is toast?

Graphics card is ok, as I've swapped it to the PB to get a reasonable working desktop. I'll probably try swapping the gigabit network card later to get the network storage back upto speed.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Both I'm reckoning.

Already ordered a new baseunit from Dell, so this one will most likely get rebuilt for CNC use :)
    I was looking at building up a new one for when I need to dedicate one to the mill, so the Advent will provide the case/drives for that.
    Can't really complain about it, as it must be over 5year old, so I reckon I managed to get good value out it!

3. I woud go with a psu, they are not that expensive, and you can pick a 500W version up for about £30.
    If a power supply goes it can cause all kinds of problems, and you can pull your hair out figgering the problem out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    New mobo with PCIe on it needed....Or a PSU?

I would just get a new M/B and PSU, talking next to no money and ebay is a good place for a bargin. I have been looking at a socket 775 brannew in the box for 30 note's, PSU's well thats upto you really but i will say this, the branded PSU's tend to out put what they should over the cheap ones being +/- the 12v and so on.

Coolermaster do some nice ones.

I was planning on getting a new PSU/Mobo, but when I get a chance, I'll get a new PSU to try first.

New baseunit should arrive on wednesday, so I'm not in any great rush to get the old one up and running again.

Thread Information