Thanks for the info. I'll try not to take offence at comments about the Myford, given the Super7 sitting in my workshop! In my defence, I did buy it long before the flood of far-East machines hit the markets and when industry was still using their hardware instead of selling it off cheap. I also built a vertical milling machine (the Dore-Westbury part-machined kit, for those that know it) on the S7. I agree, though, that those two machines are second-best to the Smart and Brown lathe and the Bridgeports I have been able to use on odd occasions, certainly in terms of rates of stock removal (and a Bantam and a Student as well, come to think of it) but they are very versatile (I cut the rack on the quill tube for the vertical mill on the S7) and I could afford them and at least I can get them both in my garage at the same time!

Always wanted to have a go at CNC, partly because of my electronics and computing background as well, so shall follow your progress with interest and in the knowledge that I am probably sufficiently equipped to do something useful even if slower than someone with access to more "commercial" facilities!

Good luck with the project,