. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I managed to drill and tap the Y-axis riser plates and the Y-axis beam.
    Have them refitted to the machine and have also fitted two sections of the linear rail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0009.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	266.7 KB 
ID:	3675

Tomorrow I need to thread some of my 12mm setscrews to make the thread longer and I need to make a 3mm spacer for the Y-axis beam.
    After that the next job is the Y-axis motor mount.

Regards

Ian

Location unknown. Briann Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6337 members to the community.
    Ian,

Interested to know what facilities you need to put something like this together. I see from the last pic that you seem to have access to a bandsaw, small vertical mill, and an ML7, but somewhere you also mentioned access to a "laser" at work! What do you reckon the minimum set of kit is to start a build like this? Something to cleanly cut the long sections to length squarely, then relatively small turning and milling jobs?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,
    I ordered the aluminium extrusin already cut to the lengths I needed. The best way to cut ali is a cold cut with a slow cutting saw similar to a wood chop saw. This leaves a nice finish. If you get everything cut to size them you just need tools for assembly. My bandsaw is only used for cutting timber before going on the wood lathe. Whats behind it in the picture is my old Meddings floor standing drilling machine. Its old and a bit noisy but does a very good job. My ML7 I class as a toy lathe. I'm sure I will probably upset a few people with that comment but thats my opinion. I have access to a colchester student at work which is much better but a bit worn and also a bridgeport milling machine. I look after a 3KW cO2 laser at work so I can usually manage to get some small jobs done like my motor and bearing mounts.
    If you are looking for a lathe I would recommend trying to pick up and old one in good condition. Not too sure about the smaller milling machines but I believe the Warco ones are good. Add a decent socket and spanner set and a good quality set of allen keys and various drill and taps.

Regards

Ian

Thread Information