. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    Hi Ian,
    I've just this morning placed an order with Arceuro for an X2 mill for conversion having just sold one of my lathes to make some space in the workshop and pay for the mill. To keep the costs low I intend to start with the original leadscrews and replace the nuts with homemade anti-backlash acetal nuts. For the Z-axis I intend to do something similar to Hoss here.

Russell
    Hi Russell
    It will be good to compare notes then!
    I guess you have actually ordered the SX2 cos I don't think they sell the X2 now? It makes a difference for the z axis as there is virtually no room on the head behind the motor to mount the screw. I guess this is where the cncfusion conversion comes in. I'm thinking of copying that design although I don't really like the force being on the side of the head. Having said that I have replaced the crappy spring support with a crude counterbalance (a couple of old brake discs on some steel rope!!) on the other side of the head. The counterbalance is an attempt to prevent the known 'nodding' of the z axis (I know about it now, managed not to read about it before I bought the thing)
    The fitted screw nuts are steel (!) and have anti backlash adjustment on them, with lots of fiddling with gib strips etc I have about 0.05- 0.1mm backlash on the x and y at the moment. The acetal nuts sound interesting, how will you cut the thread?
    Off outside now to start on version 1 of the x bracket.......

Cheers for now
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian823478 View Post
    The acetal nuts sound interesting, how will you cut the thread?
    Hi Ian,

If you join the Yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hf47158toCNC_Moderated/ and look in the files section you will find drawings by Brian Pitts for anti-backlash nuts for the X1. something similar should be possible for the X2. Andy Birkett describes making them here. The alternatives are screwcutting on the lathe or......A clever way of making acetal nuts is shown here

Yes, fitting the z-axis leadscrew to the SuperX2 is a bit more difficult. I don't like the idea of counterweights and would like to fix the leadscrew as far forward as possible, preferably near the centre of gravity of the head to eliminate the rocking. Perhaps by moving the motor out to the side? I'll have to see how the belt drive is arranged when the machine arrives.

Russell

Thread Information