. .
    So I want to add some home switches to my new little CNC, but I'm a little stumped how these things are physically (& robustly) affixed to the machine.

For example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-LASER-...item230d0c5fb1

are the two small holes...mounting holes, or are theyjust holding the switch together?!!!

I pulled some similar switches from some old dot matrix printers, but I'm stumped for a way of mounting them...gluing seems very cack....these things shouldn't ever be able to either move or fall off, but whenever I see a pic of a limit/home swithc it never jumps out at me "aha...so that's how you mount them!"

Personally, I immediately thought of a chassis mount barrel type switch...ie drill a small hole in my gantry upright, pop the switch in...it ain't going nowhere then....but alas ....not seeing any....must be missing the point (I normally do!)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 13-11-2011 at 01:35 AM.

They are mounting holes, usually around the 2 - 3mm mark.

The roller switch is usually activated by a ramp fixed to the moving component. Vast overshoot is okay. It's more a limit sensor than a position sensor.

A button microswitch is much better than a lever if you want position. Simply add a bolt to physically stop the slide before it crushes the switch. Theoretically you stop before you hit the bolt :naughty:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As robin says, small screws through the holes work well.
    There are various types of levers available on microswitches, it's just a case of picking a style that suits your needs.

Thread Information