. .
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jonathan . . .My point was that 5mm pitch geared 2:1 works fine because I use it.!. So all your bullshit spouting about K:E means sweet F:A whether nema 23 or 34 because for 99% of DIY use both are far more than good enough.

Also If you look again ya touchy lickle git you'll see I agreed with you on the 10mm pitch.!!

Presumption is the mother of all F:U.!! . . . SO NOW. . How the F~@K do you know what I've done or not done with my machine.? Or any other machine for that matter.:exclaim: . . . . . reading a few old post's don't make you Physic Sally.

If you want to get into machine design and foolish ness. My approach is that you build a machine to be strong and accurate as possible to do the best it can at it's intended purpose.! .. . To build with just speed in mind at the sacrifice of accurecy, repeatabilty resulting in poor quality in-accurate work.!!. . . is plane stupidity IMO.

Now wasn't having a go at you or saying what you said was wrong or wouldn't work so suck your petty lip back in and drop it.!:tup:

Just ordered my spindle and inverter. Made an offer of £140 instead of £172 and it was accepted:dance: Other than postage that makes it the same price as a Kress. Bargain.

Now off to redesign the gantry.
    Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

OK Here is a thought on redesigning the gantry. Any similarity to Jonathan's machine is purely down to plagerism. I have looked at a construction that I can do myself. I will make some enquiries tomorrow about acccess to a m/c shop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redesigned gantry 1.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	5180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redesigned gantry 2.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	5181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redesigned gantry 3.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	5182

Quote Originally Posted by motoxy View Post
    Any similarity to Jonathan's machine is purely down to plagiarism.
    Problem with plagiarism is, as they always tell you at school, you copy other people's mistakes! I've put the ballscrew on the Y-axis of my machine in a sub-optimal position, which you've copied! It needs to be closer to cutter / between the rails. The problem is everything between the cutter and ballscrew can deflect, as the linear bearings don't offer much support in that direction. I posted more about it here:

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...h-X-and-Y-axis

(But don't start thinking of two ballscrews like I suggest there - it's excessive! Just put the ballnut on the other side.)

Just got another computer. Has seperate video card and plenty of memory. Came without a drive so I am just doing a clean install with xp. I will need to study the board and cards and get some drivers.

Ever noticed how confusing it is to be using 2 computers at the same time. Keep using the wrong keyboard and wondering why nothings happening. Oh well.

Bruce

Well I think its about time to get my motors, drives etc. and couplers. I have looked at diycnc, zapp, cncrouterparts and cnc4you. Any others I should check out or any advice to be had? Probably have to buy the power supply in uk to avoid 110v.

Bruce
    Last edited by motoxy; 24-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.

I know what your thinking, here's another of those that start a build log but do not build.

SURPRISE

I have started the rebuild. I have put registers into the top and bottom plates of the z gantry and started drilling and tapping to connect. The I used my home made
    under the bench router table. I know it will not be with a tight tolerance but I kind of got the urge to do as much as I can on my own. That said its thank you to Jonathan for a fine pair of ball nut brackets and spindle mounts.
    Do not expect this to be a speedy build. As you can see I have done 3 bolts so far.:whistling:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010347.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	5333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010349.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	5334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010352.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	5335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010351.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	5336  

Just to let you know that this build is not dead I am thinking about the base. Steel box is 50 x 30 and 100 x 50. I intend to fix 10mm ally plate on top with an overhang that will support the screw/ motor. and give it some protection from debris. Therefore the rail and screw are fixed together and the critical factor should be lining up the left and right plates. Fillets will be added on the build.I really ought to start setting up the electrics now but this part does make me a little nervous so listen out for some stupid questions soon. :confused:Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	5616  

I can appreciate both sides of the argument. My mistake was getting confused on some of the other sites and deciding to go it alone.....and then finding you guys. This is not a quick project and will take some time. I have many commitments between my work as a landscaper and my wood turning as well as other Things. Need to decide on the z so I can order parts for it. Probably just use a plate with 2 rails I still have some of the 10mm plate left. I will have to order some rails and a short ball screw.

Bruce i apologies for tramping your thread but things like this puts doubt in new comers minds and they then abandon their projects because it gets too expensive. Advice on your Z though is definitely not go for 1610 screw enless you are using high powered steppers. The greater the thread angle the easier it is for the stepper to not be able take the weight. Please do not ignore Jonathan's advice as he has a lot of experience learned first hand. Just stick to your budget and if it is not enough for what you really need then save rather than waste it on buying the first thing that comes along.

A great effort on your build so far
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information