. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Ross

The lower bearing is 35 x 62 x 18 and the top bearing is 28 x 52 x 12. I've left enough room to double the top bearing should i need too. It's all about making things fit, it does not work out then i shall build a complete new spindle and housing. The locknut should be fine as used that arrangement before on another project. It's all heavy duty so will have to see how it works out. Just made a new adjustable burner for the furnace, so will get some Ali blanks cast at some point this week to make the pulleys. I can then start getting the motor mounted etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	8688
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

The locknut should be fine as used that arrangement before on another project.
    Fair point, just seems a shame to do all that work and then risk an imbalance problem

Cheers for the bearing info, are they AC or deep groove?

lastly why would you want to put 2 bearings at the top? most of the cutting force is in the lower bearing, hence the lower one being bigger.

Cheers

Hi Tojan

Ive completed the table with screws etc, fitted the head and just need to sort the gearing for the column (z axis). Things have been very slow due to family commitments and troubles this year. Could have used it a million times over already.

If you did go down this route i would recomend 16mm screws, and don't even attempt it unless you have access to another mill and lathe.

Well thanks for the reply. Any more pictures of your project would be really helpful. This is my first mill, and I'm just getting finished rebuilding it. I've got the bug to build some stuff that can't be done manually. Unfortunately I don't have access to another mill, I do have a lathe.

You would definatley need access to another mill. I had to take quite a bit out of the table and mid bed to accomodate the ballnut, There is very little difference between your and mine. Being more carefull than me choosing the right type of nut, you maybe get away with not machining but it is tight. If i get a chance i will grab some more pics with some details. I decided in the end to utilise the rack and pinion on the column and reduce with a 72:24 pulley. Not a lot of room to mount on the back of that column though.

Hi Geoff sorry for not coming back quicker as i have been snowed under rebuilding my workshop and other things so my build had stalled quite a bit. On X and Y i went for 16 and 24 HTD5 15mm pulleys and belt, as for the Z i kept the existing rack and pinion and added a plate with a bearing fitted. To this i a have 72 toothed pulley with a 16 on the motor. As for the screws if i could do again i would have just gone 16mm instead of the 20's as it would have been less hassle and im sure up for the job. I did consider mounting a screw for the Z in the base mounting the ballscrew to the base of the column but would have been quite a big job with conventional tools. I might still do this when the machine is up and running as i can make the parts on it. I'm using the similar motors to you and they should be fine. Hope this helps a bit?

Paul

Lives in Portsmouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-09-2015 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hello

There has been some discussion about ballscrew conversions on the arboga.
    if you have a look at this link
    https://www.damencnc.com/en/componen...allscrews-16mm dia.
    they sell a low profile easy mount ballscrew assembly.
    May be of some help
    Jba

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information