I`ve been wanting a little CNC machine for the last couple of years, not specifically for anything, just to learn more about it really. All the work I currently do on my projects (www.raynerd.co.uk) are on my manual machines.

Despite the constant advice to just go for it and but the bits starting from acratch, I just don`t dare and any machine more complete than this is to expensive, as is buying a bench mill and converting. So this is a cnc build based on confidence and available funds.
I started with a TEP cnc mill which I paid very little for. These are a sturdy machine and quite well made...just a dreadful design and dreadful software which is locked onto the driver hardware!!
I was lucky enough to get hold of the original TEP software from a local chap that has converted one of these (isn`t available from anywhere!!) and it was dreadful. Imagine MSWindows Paint, no numberical input (so no saying I want a 20mm line, 10mm from the origin!!, just simple drag and click stuff!!) Then from that, tell the machine to move.

Here is the machine in its original state:

Very very bizzare design and many machine limitations:
Cons:
  • In my opinion the x axis should be mounted so the slides are vertical parallel, not horizontal.
  • No z axis, it is just a solanoid motor to raise and lower the spindle to a fixed level.
  • All hardware is locked so commands can only be sent from the PC interfaced by the TEP software - it won`t talk to Mach or EMC
  • Stepper motors are only about 50Ncm
  • Both axis are fixed off centre to allow space at the back for the electronics
  • Only 12v 5A supply.
Pros:
  • I had a working CNC machine as a basis/start.
  • If all else failed, I strip it down and the ally plate on it is worth more than the price I`d payed for the machine ! :D
In truth, there is little going for this other than having a solid working basis to start from....