. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbabbz View Post
    That's great thankyou. Agreed for £20 it would be worth getting them machined. I was just referring to zapp who charge £75 for machining. That would add a considerable amount to the build cost.
    iv no idea what chi (linearmotionbearings2008) charges for machining... i do remember him being nice n cheap and good comms :)... i dont remember delivery taking ages either

it would be silly not to give him a shout and see whats what :)

I normally get a quick order from Chi, 7 to 10 days max but the last half dozen orders have generated a VAT plus handling charge from Fedex, usually about £15, not excessive but worth bearing in mind.

You do have to contact him, tell him just what you want and he'll put that exact order up on Ebay and send you the link. If by some chance someone else buys it before you just tell him and he'll list a duplicate order. The guy is 110% reliable.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    only three screws ?? if you are not using two screws
    Yes! Definitely get 2 for the X axis...
    Price sounds about right for Chai. I always pay him directly via a paypal invoice as I think he knocks a bit off due to no eBay fees.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I normally get a quick order from Chi, 7 to 10 days max but the last half dozen orders have generated a VAT plus handling charge from Fedex, usually about £15, not excessive but worth bearing in mind.
    Customs recently changed the rules - now everything above £18 value stated on the form gets charged. I don't really mind paying the VAT but £10 handling fee is just extortionate. Last time I just tried paying the VAT (£4.08) and not the handling charge (£10)... so far so good!
    Expect to pay another £20 or so since it's a reasonable size order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't really mind paying the VAT but £10 handling fee is just extortionate. Last time I just tried paying the VAT (£4.08) and not the handling charge (£10)... so far so good!

If you don't want to pay the £10 then nip down to Heathrow and collect them and pay the VAT there.
    Let us know how long it takes you and how much petrol / train fare is
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    If you don't want to pay the £10 then nip down to Heathrow and collect them and pay the VAT there.
    Let us know how long it takes you and how much petrol / train fare is
    I've already paid for shipping to my door, not Heathrow, so the £10 appears to be to send one letter and collect the money. For the most part it will be an automated system so I don't see how it can cost them £10 to do that - they're clearly trying to make a bit of money. The handling charges used to be much less, and before that they were illegal - I'd happily pay £3-4. Even sending the letter via Royal mail doesn't cost that much!

Thread Information