. .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Glad to hear on the surface the machine appears to be sound because I couldn`t wait for your update and put my money down yesterday

£880 plus £466 makes this about the same price as a 6040 with suppoted rails ?
    John S -

Updated on post #3 First run

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post

It is, However Its not quite as high spec, You only get a 0.8kw with 6040 I got a 1.5kw Also i have 20mm Rails all around the 6040 is only on the Y axis.

Another bonus is that because of the laid back gantry and the subtle modifications the actual cutting size is 450x320 So its better than most which are UNDER their stated dimension.
    Remember, mine has flood cooling and tub too, even came with the pumps and everything required for the full system.

The gantry rails are mounted much more securely with large 20mm clamps which are fully adjustable vs the 6040 rails which are just drilled & tapped with an 8mm screw

Another plus is the control box is of much higher quality than the typical 'eBay' models.

So really it comes down to budget and what size bed you need?
    Last edited by craigrobbo; 19-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    The typical ebay 6040 was just too big for my needs. Paying about the same for higher quality but smaller machine was an easy trade off as I`ll only be producing small parts up to about A4 size.
    I would have liked supported rails but I never intended to cut more than aluminium anyway.

Okay it would apper its limit is around 600mm/m in 4mm aluminium or 1050mm/m in 3mm aluminium. that's if i really push it hard.

I would say safely and with a nice finish you can machine around 800mm/m @ 3mm deep in aluminium for a good finish.

All with a 6mm 2 flute HSS cutter.

Craig

Some good updates for you guys...

I would play with feeds & speeds because your not cutting properly.? Your cutting and shoving.!! Look at the vid about 1:28 and you'll see the material being curled not cut.!! . . . Basicly it's being shoved out the way not cut.
    Also the chatter and resonance is quite high even thou your (rightly) conventional milling, this dull tools quickly and puts extra stress's on the machine and spindle which will prematurely wear out bearings etc.!!

I can tell the cutting set-up is wrong from the sound, when it comes to cutting Aluminium then it's slightly different from other materials regards DOC etc so it's important to find the machines sweet spot regards spindle RPM and depth of cut (DOC). This you can tell from the noise and harmonics of the machine.

This is will be different for every machine or should say most machines that are not identical.? For instance no point me telling you my set-up for cutting aluminium because my machine is completely different. It also changes with cutter size and length, even the tools material makes a big difference.

Really You need to find the machines "Sweet spot" for the machines life and your pockets sake, not to mention finished quality.!! . . At the rate I'm hearing you'll wear this machine out very quickly.
    It takes some trial and error but worth it if your going to cut lots of aluminium and believe it or not can result in you being able to cut deeper with less chatter by finding the natural harmonic balance of cutting tool and machine.? . . Trial and error is the only way but it can be done quickly if done in a methodical manner.

Check this out and while it's aimed at commercial machines the principles the same. It also gives a procedure to follow that will help find the sweet spot.
    It works and the difference is noticeable in both sound has well has visual not to mention performance.

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/maximum-aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I would play with feeds & speeds because your not cutting properly.? Your cutting and shoving.!! Look at the vid about 1:28 and you'll see the material being curled not cut.!! . . . Basicly it's being shoved out the way not cut.
    Also the chatter and resonance is quite high even thou your (rightly) conventional milling, this dull tools quickly and puts extra stress's on the machine and spindle which will prematurely wear out bearings etc.!!

I can tell the cutting set-up is wrong from the sound, when it comes to cutting Aluminium then it's slightly different from other materials regards DOC etc so it's important to find the machines sweet spot regards spindle RPM and depth of cut (DOC). This you can tell from the noise and harmonics of the machine.

This is will be different for every machine or should say most machines that are not identical.? For instance no point me telling you my set-up for cutting aluminium because my machine is completely different. It also changes with cutter size and length, even the tools material makes a big difference.

Really You need to find the machines "Sweet spot" for the machines life and your pockets sake, not to mention finished quality.!! . . At the rate I'm hearing you'll wear this machine out very quickly.
    It takes some trial and error but worth it if your going to cut lots of aluminium and believe it or not can result in you being able to cut deeper with less chatter by finding the natural harmonic balance of cutting tool and machine.? . . Trial and error is the only way but it can be done quickly if done in a methodical manner.

Check this out and while it's aimed at commercial machines the principles the same. It also gives a procedure to follow that will help find the sweet spot.
    It works and the difference is noticeable in both sound has well has visual not to mention performance.

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/maximum-aluminum
    Thanks for that, That should help me in the future.

Unsure if your aware but this is my first CNC machine so I am still quite a noobie, However i think a lot of the issue here is partly my cutter(fairly old) and also not enough HP in the spindle.

I need to reduce my feeds/get a better cutter.

Craig

Craig,

on the strength of your review, I've gotten a quote from Stepmores for pretty much the same machine (attached) for 1500$ US not including shipping. I think this is more than you paid (was your quote of some 866 pounds Sterling including delivery?). Can you comment?

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SM-3040M mini cnc router.pdf  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information