more de-greasing & de-gunking today, id love to be able to shot blast this cab but i don't see funds stretching that far.
the method im using for cleaning is rather simple and quite cheap although it is laborious, what i use is...

1) rather than using an expensive degreasing product i use lovely cheap & cheerful red diesel (ive also used kerosene but i find diesel is easier to clean up).
2) an assortment of brushes including wire brushes, scrubbing brushes, dustpan brush (its handy to have one thats dry) and even a tooth brush for the little nooks and crannys
3) budget brand toilet paper (or any other cheap disposable paper towel) rather than spread dirt and grease just bin it

diesel makes a great degreaser but it leaves a thin layer when used so a further rub down is required to get a clean surface for paint

this photo shows the rear of the cabinet, upside down resting on 2 pieces of wood
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image000.jpg 
Views:	1250 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	6076

some one has previously done some welding to the bottom of the cab and i don't commend their technique

Name:	Image001.jpg 
Views:	1326 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	6077

the door sporting the original boxford logo and the suppliers plate

Name:	Image002.jpg 
Views:	1261 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	6078

a close up of the suppliers plate

Name:	Image003.jpg 
Views:	987 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	6079

this is the lock that is currently fitted to the door, i dont have a key for it and it doesn't fit properly so il have to find a suitable replacement

Name:	Image004.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	6080

the barrel of the lock doesn't even match up to the hole let alone fit in to it

Name:	Image005.jpg 
Views:	1097 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	6081

the lathe bed sitting upside down on the table, notice the solid lump of swarf reinforced grease ontop of the foot on the left

Name:	Image006.jpg 
Views:	2353 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	6082

this is the head stock end of the bed, the paint simply rubbed off with a piece of toilet paper

Name:	Image007.jpg 
Views:	1312 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	6083

as of yet i have not found any sign that there was primer used when it was last painted and i dont think it was even cleaned properly
who ever painted this lathe was/is a grade A idiot