. .

Thread: pillar drill?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a (relatively) cheap pillar drill, similar to that one, and it's acceptable.
    Drilling and tapping all the holes in the box section before mounting the rails is not a good plan, especially if you're marking them out by hand. For supported rails it's easiest to put bolt in the end of one rail, slide the gantry back and fourth so that they align, put a bolt in the other rail and repeat that procedure until they are well enough attached to drill and tap the rest of the holes. Drilling them in situ like this makes it much easier to ensure the holes are accurately aligned.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

aye that is the intention, but i still feel it'll be easier to do with a pillar drill instead of by hand with my cordless, and as christmas is coming it's a perfect excuse to get it bought for me as there aint nothing else i need/want that anyone else can afford.. i'm even tempted at the moment to get my siblings to buy me a nema 23 each haha

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    aye that is the intention, but i still feel it'll be easier to do with a pillar drill instead of by hand with my cordless, and as christmas is coming it's a perfect excuse to get it bought for me as there aint nothing else i need/want that anyone else can afford.. i'm even tempted at the moment to get my siblings to buy me a nema 23 each haha
    If you started as johnathan said, then gave a good mark through the other holes left to drill you could strip it down and drill said marked holes on your pillar drill.
    Hobgoblin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    If you started as jonathan said, then gave a good mark through the other holes left to drill you could strip it down and drill said marked holes on your pillar drill.
    +1 .......
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thread Information