. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19-12-2012 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 10.
    So, I mentioned my little project to my boss...and he donated to the cause

Roland Plotter - Imgur

Couldn't find the power supply, so had a bit of a faff about getting 9v and 31v in there, but got there in the end.

Going to see what my options are with it before I spend a load of money, though I'm only mildly hopeful that it's suitable for the job. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by 8086 View Post
    I've got one of them. I tend to collect things I used to drool over. Things I could not afford can now be picked up for a few quid.
    I wonder if you could gut a steel tipped pen and convert it to a pick up nozzle?

Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19-12-2012 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I've got one of them. I tend to collect things I used to drool over. Things I could not afford can now be picked up for a few quid.
    I wonder if you could gut a steel tipped pen and convert it to a pick up nozzle?
    Hmm...perhaps, but I think I may have to create a little z axis so for now I have removed the pen holder completely. In the process accidentally allowed the wire that drives the y axis to come loose, resulting in basically a complete teardown and rebuild of the unit. Oops. Still, was useful to see where everything goes ;)

Not sure where to go next, lol.

I'm thinking perhaps a servo cam pick up tool, with vacuum. I may make a small controller board, that can act as a middleman, taking PC commands, and sending serial commands to the plotter, and dealing with the new z-axis.

Oh, and if anyone knows a source for the PSU for one of these plotters, I would like to know, since I am using my bench PSU to power it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 8086 View Post
    if anyone knows a source for the PSU for one of these plotters, I would like to know
    If you want something to Google, the PSU has what looks like a part number:-

Roland DCP-305

9.7V = 700mA
    31V = 700mA

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    If you want something to Google, the PSU has what looks like a part number:-

Roland DCP-305

9.7V = 700mA
    31V = 700mA
    Thanks for that, but I have tried DCP-303, DCP-304, DCP305... Can't find anything :( I may have to build my own. Or perhaps make a new controller. Oh well, another thing to do :)

Interestingly, the PCB itself inside the unit says 9V/28V - not sure why it has a 9.7V/31V PSU!

Thread Information