Quote Originally Posted by scnc View Post
Hi just getting a bit technical what is a level shifter and if there is a mention of a transisitor and a resistor what would i need to do?? would i need to buy some hardware or do something on mach3?? just getting a little confused as i dont know anything about the electronics and havnt a clue what to do.
To be honest without more information then it's going to be very hard to help has we don't know wot's what or were the problem lies.

So from the beggining did this machine ever run in it's current state electronics wise.? . . . Did it ever run with Mach3.?

What happens when you turn power on.? Does anything light up inside the control box and if so describe what, take pictures if your unsure.
Do the motors make any cluncking or thudding sounds or twitch.?

Take good clear photos from all angles of the electronics. Try and trace the wires and show with pics if possible.
Take pics of motors and if possible the wires or connections. Count the number of wires at the motors end there will probably be more than at other end were they go into control box.

The more info and pics you can give/show the more possible it will be to help.

Being totally Honest in all probability the easiest route will be to rip out the existing drives and rats nest of wires and start again with new modern drives and breakout board. May possibly need a power supply has well but without testing the output hard to know.
Chances are the motors will be fine but again would need to know or see more about them to tell.

Fitting drives and breakout board is relatively easy and provided the correct drives to match the motors and power supply are used then we can easily guide you thru the process here thru the forum.
Also I don't mind giving you my Number and I will gladly guide via the phone, it really is that easy.!
Setting Mach3 is also not rocket science or very hard when you know what your working with which we don't at the minute. And At the minute were stabbing in the dark with very small to no chance of success on all accounts.

The base machine looks reasonably ok so my advise would be start again because for less than £200 you'll be up and running in no time. You'll also have machine that's sell able and the investment will more than pay back by increasing the machines value and appeal.