. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi everyone,

this is my first post here so please be gentle!

I am a complete novice to CNC. I have on order a machine from which I am hoping to cut name plaques, photo frames and shapes from MDF. I have been hand cutting all of these items on the scroll saw, but due to a vast number of orders and the length of time spent cutting, I am planning to use the CNC to help speed things up.

I am familiarizing myself with the software side of things and have spent a lot of time creating designs using the Vcarve Pro Trial software, as I have a copy arriving with my machine. Im also getting my head around flutes, feed rates, spindle RPM and so on... its a big learning curve from what I have been doing in the past.

I am looking at getting a few end mills to have ready to try out on the machine when it arrives in a couple of weeks, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

The trouble I am finding is that I am going to need to have pretty high detail when cutting certain shapes out. Judging by the 3D models drawn up in vcarve pro, I am going to need 3mm end mills for some of the 18mm thickness MDF, and many end mills I have found, dont allow a cut that deep. The best I can find are from a company called FrezyCNC based in poland, which has a rather high postage rate. They have a rage of 'DeepReach' endmills in 2 and 3 flute.

Any UK based sellers would be much more preferable.

I have so many more questions, but I'll save them for another time!!! Sorry for being such a noob.

Thanks for reading,
    Luke
    Nottinghamshire, UK

EDIT: Also, my spindle is capable of 5-25k RPM, and I have purchased a collet set to enable it to take 3mm, 6mm, 1/8" and 1/4" diameter bits.
    Last edited by lukenotts; 05-03-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Forgot important detail

Thread Information