. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-03-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 7.
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I'm building my first CNC related machine, and I hope I'll be able to learn from and contribute to this forum!

My first question is as stated in the title: What is the function of a parallel port breakout board?

As far as I can tell, the board will allow easier access to the pins, and protection for the PC in the form of isolation. However, most good quality servo/stepper drivers already seem to come with built-in opto-isolators. Having two opto-isolators seems redundant and possibly even detrimental to performance.

I have no experience using the parallel port for such controls, though I have experience with robotics, electronics and programming. Please enlighten me!

Thank you.

Hon

It is as you say an easier way to gain access to the port pins. Loads of different boards available, some with opto isolation some without, same with drivers although as you say a lot of drivers now have them built in.
    Most boards will not only give you an easy connection to the drivers but also have other functions like spindle isolation, inputs for things like E stop & limit switches all using different pins.

Lives in London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-03-2013 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 7.
    Thanks! Do the boards somehow increase the number of inputs available? Perhaps by multiplexing? I'll be using LinuxCNC, and the documentation doesn't seem to be very comprehensive.

When you use drivers that are already opto-isolated, then it's sensible to use a breakout board which doesn't have opto-isolated outputs, since as you say there's just no point doing it twice. In fact, since the drivers are isolated it's perfectly safe to connect them directly to the port and not use a breakout board, however you would still need to make an isolated circuit for the inputs, and it sometimes doesn't work if the port voltage is too low, so it's generally not worth it except for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by hbx View Post
    Thanks! Do the boards somehow increase the number of inputs available? Perhaps by multiplexing?
    Unfortunately not.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks. Isolation the inputs sounds logical. I'm looking at some available breakout boards now, and some feature the charge pump as some form of safety. How to the breakout boards implement this? Is this meant to be detected by the software?

Also, regarding the use of more limit and home switches than available inputs, what's the most common solution? I saw the documentation on LinuxCNC which suggests connecting the switches in series. This doesn't seem to make much sense especially if the machine starts in a completely unknown state.

I'm looking at some available breakout boards now, and some feature the charge pump as some form of safety. How to the breakout boards implement this?
    It's generally a circuit that enables the outputs, via some logic gates, when it detects a square wave of the right frequency on one of the port outputs. That square wave is outputted by the software, so the outputs are only active when, in your case, LinuxCNC is running. It stops the motors moving a tiny bit when you boot the computer, that's about it. I wouldn't worry if the breakout board you have doesn't have it.

Also, regarding the use of more limit and home switches than available inputs, what's the most common solution? I saw the documentation on LinuxCNC which suggests connecting the switches in series. This doesn't seem to make much sense especially if the machine starts in a completely unknown state.
    So long as you only press one (normally closed) switch at a time, then the software can use it for homing since it know which axis is moving, and thus which switch must have been pressed. If that still doesn't get you enough ports you can add a second parallel port - generally a PCI parallel port card.

Ah I see, but this only works if only one axis is moving? During operation when everything's moving and something hits the limit switch, how will the software resolve this?

Ah I see, but this only works if only one axis is moving? During operation when everything's moving and something hits the limit switch, how will the software resolve this?
    It will just stop the machine, since clearly there's a fault, and it's up to you to resolve it - i.e. move the relevant axis off the limit switch.

I suppose that's reasonable! Thanks! I may look into using something other than the parallel port. For LinuxCNC users, what are the next best options? PCI cards?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Just a little note regarding the PP BOB it can also act as a level shifter as most PPs these day are 3.3V and the drivers seem to work beter at 5V so the BOB can convert the 3.3V to 5V. Clive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information