. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    33mm long? where did the other 2 strings go?
    Good spot...perhaps I could sell to banjoists or maybe back to the drawing board ;-)

Joking apart, that's just the blade for EADG...there's a small gap of 1mm & then B & E get their own blade/treatment (I didn't want to cloud the issue, hence only showing the EADG blade!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Hank if it was me i would be tempted to buy 4mm flat bar and rip down the length at your 1.6mm thickness on a bandsaw. You could then stack and cut multiples to the length you need? I'm sure you bog standard metal supplier could do that for you rather than going to fabricators and such like?

I just don't think I could get the accuracy for a 1.6mm width cut ...& all places I've been in touch with (admittedly only Ebay metal suppliers), can't seem to cope with anything that can't be guillotined (anything less than about 13mm cut width seems to get a "No can do, guv" type response)

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticksplinter View Post
    Hi Hank,

I would suggest that you should be able to obtain 14g x 4mm flat wire in stainless, which would probably be better suited to your application. You'd then only have to worry about the length, but a guillotine would make a neat job of the ends. If you did a detailed google search I'm sure your find a wire supplier. I think they might use this type of wire within the craft / jewellery trade, maybe worth going down that route?
    Alas, stainless is no good for this application (stainless isn't very magnetic, and the material I need to use must be very magnetic)

I'd pondered one of these....

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ng-and-Bending (I can get 1.6mm steel cut 33mm wide) ...then I'd only have the 4mm strip to cut - but I reckon a 4mm strip will curl/deform (& then there's a gripping square problem as it's beinf fed in)

They tout this precision shear as having little deformation....

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/es...p-metal-cutter but only available Stateside & it'll cost a pretty penny for them to put it in an oversize jiiffy bag & post it to me!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 26-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd think laser or waterjet will give the cleanest 'as cut' edge with minimal distortion, however I'd think you'd really need to get them ground after that to get a clean edge.

However I'd guess laser/waterjet will be pretty expensive unless you go for a large batch. Grinding would involve somebody with a surface grinder and small vice.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Grinding would involve somebody with a surface grinder and small vice.
    Surely a magnetic 'vice' would be easiest, or is it just too small?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Magnetic chucks are only any good for items with large flat surfaces, not holding a small flat bit on edge.

A small vice mounted on the magnetic chuck, with the metal spaced appropriately would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Magnetic chucks are only any good for items with large flat surfaces, not holding a small flat bit on edge.
    I was just thinking of using the magnetic chuck to hold it whilst grinding the larger faces, but fair enough if it's no use for either...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

It would be fine for that, but not for doing the edges which is what the OP is looking for.

One option would be cut them from slightly thicker metal, then grind them to thickness.

Or stack multiples on edge together and grind the lot?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Thread Information