Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
Damn, I wish I'd seen that chart before! I only chose T5 belts because someone on here recommended them when I started the build. I know you say pulleys are "cheap" but I've only recently bought two T5 belts from beltingonline at a cost of £9 each and 4 pulleys at just over £10 each with boring and grub screws. So that's almost £60 of "cheap" parts for the scrap bin. In hindsight, I can see that HTD5 pulleys and belts would of been a much better choice for cost, availability AND backlash reasons. Oh well, we live and learn.

EDIT: Just a FYI, Bearing Station - Adhesives, Bearings, Belts, Chains, O Rings, Oil Seals, Pulleys & Sprockets are generally a bit cheaper and have a "price match guarantee", however they don't offer a machining service.
Do not throw anything in the bin! And sorry for that "cheap" . I meant relatively compared to other linear movement.

If somebody told you is maybe because it works. In practice there is a belt backslash only if you have open belt clamped from both sides and the linear movement is transmitted by only one pulley

In a closed system where 2 pulleys are engaged, when you tension the belt enough / but not too much!/ the teeth on the opposing belt touch tightly the teeth of the opposing pulleys and preload the system, the way 2 ball screws are preloaded.

So whatever specification say, i believe you did nothing wrong and the belt will work without backslash.
And talking about backslash and various types of belts manufacturers refer more to the tooth strength and theoretical situations with one pulley only.

So cheers up!