. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,
    I started converting my ORAC lathe a while ago. Got busy on other project but I am back to it now! :-)

One thing I did not like on the ORAC was the spindle nose. It seems very difficult to find chuck back plate for it and the only one available seems to be for 3 jaws chuck only.

Original spindle:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40s.JPG 
Views:	2348 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	9086

Solution: Re-machine the nose!
    Denford ORAC with a Boxford threaded nose!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42s.JPG 
Views:	1866 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	9085

Now, I can fit my ER32 collet chuck, 4 jaw independent or 3 jaws SC. Can even share them with my manual lathe...

L.
    Last edited by rnr107; 19-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Nice idea, very practical. G.

Thank you ;-)

I'm in the process of upgrading one of these. I'm a Boilermaker, not a machinist...Is the spindle easy to get out?
    Wouldn't mind a bit more detail, if you can throw something up here? Seems like a great idea.
    TIA.

Hi Skysurfer,
    The spindle comes off fairly easily... Just need the right tool! :-)
    1- on the back of the head tou will see a small slotted sensor attached to a metal plate - remove that... It is attached to the head with 2 bolts If I remember right?
    2- from the back of the spindle remove the locknut, pulley and perforated disk -> You will probably need a bearing puller to bet the pulley off
    Important: check for grub screws on the pulley before pulling with the bearing puller!
    3- Now comes the custom tool! You'll need a M20 threaded bar + washers and nuts + a piece of tube with an internal diameter greater than the spindle nose about 5" long + a big washer with an external diameter greater than the tube diameter (this could be just a piece of metal with a 20mm hole in the middle...).
    pass the M20 threaded bar through the spindle, place 2 washers on the threaded bar against the back of the spindle and 2 nuts behind them locked against each other.
    Now from the front of the spindle, place the piece of tube around the nose, then the big washer behind it, then 2 washers and a nut.
    4- With 2x 30mm spanners or adjustables... screw slowly the nut in the back of the spindle against the one on the front (clockwise).
    The spindle will slowly but surely move out...
    5- Done!

RNR

I have an email for a guy who had a lot of old stock for the deford lathes, he has back plates if anyones interested.

Stuart

Wouldn't mind, Stuart. Just got mine running on Mach3, and am trying to make a machine worthy of having so much money spent on it.
    Worse than bloody boats...

Pete

Pm sent, hope it's helpful. I think denford have cad drawings of all their old stuff on their website some ware, very helpful for checking sizes etc.

stuart

Google denfordata

Hi need a back plate for an Orac, can you let me have the 'guys' contact details
    Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Stupoty View Post
    I have an email for a guy who had a lot of old stock for the deford lathes, he has back plates if anyones interested.

Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information