. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Jazzcnc, i highly value your opinion. Why you believe the Chinese ball screws 2010 for example could give me better finish than the RP drives? All seem to be happy running RP drives, did i miss something? I know the table is not so big to really need RP.
    Those people on the Zone are probably only using R&P because.!
    A: They are large long machines so ball-screws are harder to use.
    B: They can't afford Us made Ball-screws and the Yanks are very reluctant to Import Chinese parts.
    C: The CNCRP R&P is US made so fits with above.
    D: They have never used ball-screws so they don't know the difference in performance and smoothness ball-screws make.

My advise is just that "Advise" take it or leave it but I know thru experience with R&P that Nema23 motors with heavy Gantry is recipe for trouble if your wanting high feed rates.

Yes I know Nema 34 will handle heavy gantry ok and that heavy helps with cutting but Heavy and high feed rates is a completely different issue.!
    Combine this with 3D work which requires Small fast direction changes and this issue becomes worse.

Now the difference between R&P and ball-screws is several.

Ball-screws are much more efficient so don't require has much power to turn, typical efficiency for Balscrew is 90%+ were R&P is 60% or lower.
    Ball-screws have much lower backlash so are far more accurate and repeatable. R&P is quite high backlash and not easy or cheap to make real antiback lash using correct pinions.

R&P resolution is much lower and to get higher resolution requires at least 3:1 gearing this in turn means steppers need to spin fast and has you may or may not know torque drops off fast at higher speeds on steppers and even more so on Nema 34 motors unless running really high voltage.

R&P is noisy and needs much more maintenance and protection from chips etc.

Ball-screws give a silky smooth action where has R&P is in comparison a clunky action so this does translate back into the cutter at some level.!!. . . For general wood working then this is fine and doesn't get noticed but if your wanting high quality finish or high detail then you will see a enough difference compared to ball-screw machine.

Again just My opinion and you choose to take my advise or not.? . . . . But let me just say go try to find some one who has experience of Both and ask which they would choose for a machine this size, weight and with your requirements.?? . . . . I know the answer because I've give it you.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Thread Information