. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    G & M Tools - Moore & Wright 24 inch Hardened Steel Straight Edge

Grizzly.com
    grizzly is US but this is the sort of kit you need, a basic rule will be to flexible sideways(that's what i have)

Just found this on e-bay looks like the grizzly
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-36-iGa...item1e7bed8717
    Last edited by mekanik; 08-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.

That Moore & Wright seems cheap for the brand. Also silyavski you do want a straight edge with a beveled edge because you can see the light shining through gaps under it very accurately.

Thanks for the help, its highly appreciated!

At the end i bought the two triangles / deviation of 0.000055" per inch/ + 2x 7" Electronic Digital Protractor Goniometer Angle Finder Miter Gauge/ Resolution: 0.05 degree /

I bought last month the protractor as a present and i liked it very much, very substantial feel, precise enough, quite handy, unbeatable for the money, so it was on my purchase list.

Now for the straightedge. Let me share. It will be great if somebody finds it helpful. After 2 days and tons of research, here is what i have found:

Which straight edge?

1. the Igaging straight edges even if advertised as top precision are shot in the dark. Many people received a bad ones, so as i don't like Russian roulette when spending hard earned money i dismissed them. Source:Amazon reviews and forums

2. Axminster straight edge- same as above. Could be perfect or a total crap. Source: Axminster reviews and forums.

3. Starret straightedges: good but expensive. People complain about spending insane cash for a long straight edges and receiving them without a box , wrapped in oiled paper only. No hook hole. Heavy.

4. Moore & Wright- dismissed- brand new, insanely expensive.

5. Second hand straight edges- dismissed. Jump in the dark if you dont buy from an respected machinist, even better fellow forum member

6. Maun straight edges- not precise enough, at least for me, i found more precision rulers for the price. If it was a ruler, i would buy it for the thickness

7. On the cheap: people use Stanley and Stabila ground beam levels with great result +- 0.5mm/per meter, which is quite good for the price and

8. Other rebranded mostly black in color sold " for cylinder rectification" , no specs or whatsoever.

9. Other brands in USA mostly, normally priced but expensive to ship from abroad + eventual tax.

Now come the good ones/ for the buck/

9. Veritas : people love them. At Axminster they sell aluminium ones with 0.075mm precision over the entire length and steel ones. Citation: " These Canadian-made precision steel straight edges are ground flat over the entire length on both edges, the 610(24") length to within 0.025mm and the 915mm(36") length to within 0.038mm. All have been stress relieved to remain true under temperature variation. Useful for checking whether surfaces are flat or straight, they are 38mm wide and easily stand on edge unsupported, leaving both hands free for precise measurement or tool adjustment. All have hang holes, allowing storage on a nail or hook"

Good choice for the money, either steel or aluminum. Couldn't find a bad word for them.

10. It seems the magic word that i needed to find is din 874

But what DIN 874 /00 874/1 874/2 mean?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	din 874.PNG 
Views:	2300 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	10049

Name:	din 874 tollerances.PNG 
Views:	5763 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	10050

So now knowing the magic word./ for EU i mean/ it seems DIN 874/00 on ebay made in Germany can be found at short lengths quite cheap. Longer than 500 become prohibitively expensive.

But hey, i am happy with Din 874/2 . 33 micrometers = 0.033 millimeters / on the entire length.

So now i am contemplating which length exactly, 1200mm or 1500mm, which would be easier to handle. Or maybe even 1 meter. Made in Germany-I like that. Cheap, i like that also.
    Example/ from very nice page with all kinds of stuff :
    Straight Edges Steel DIN 874/2 Z032021000
    lenght 1000 mm, height 40 mm, width 8 mm, Accuracy in accordance with DIN 874/2 lenght 1000 mm, hei...
    Price without Tax: 63,65 EUR Price incl. Tax: 75,74 EUR

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    That Moore & Wright seems cheap for the brand. Also silyavski you do want a straight edge with a beveled edge because you can see the light shining through gaps under it very accurately.
    You almost got me there :-) . But isn't it that a square straight edge has 4 edges that could be used for that against the ones that have only 1 sharp edge?
    I believe their purpose is a bit different and definitely i believe i need the square- to compare between rails in all directions / the twist i mean/ .

That is all folks. If you have some info i missed just say it for the future generations who read this:-)

Conclusion: Maybe i am crazy, but i don't see how i can make a precise machine without precise instrument, so i need one/ at least, i am a kind of instrument junkie/
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 10-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Top marks M8 i have bookmarked that supplier just in case i need one @ some stage, love a guy that does the research PPPPPP
    Mike

PS.
    Just discovered on the page of the DIN 874 straight edges, that there is another page. Its called: Straight Edges made from Steel, no DIN, Testing Accuracy in Item Description, Faces grounded, Length from 500 mm to 6000 mm. Here are the even cheaper " scrap like" :-) edges. Scrap for them, treasure to me.
    Example:

enght 2000 mm, height 40 mm, width 8 mm

Straight Edges Steel
    finely ground,
    Tolerance flatness: 112 µm,
    Net- weigth: 4,8 kg

Made in Germany

Price without Tax: 114,50 EUR
    Price incl. Tax: 136,26 EUR

So 112 micrometers =0.112 millimeters, and thats for 2 meters. Not bad for 136 euro. If i make a big build i will definitely buy one similar

This one looks ok.
    MeasureShop.biz: Flat straightedge, steel

Part no: 1689 104
    2000 x 60 x 12mm
    din 874/2. 58 micro meters
    £111.80 + vat

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    You almost got me there :-) . But isn't it that a square straight edge has 4 edges that could be used for that against the ones that have only 1 sharp edge?
    I believe their purpose is a bit different and definitely i believe i need the square- to compare between rails in all directions / the twist i mean/ .
    If I'm reading you correctly you mean this;

Name:	straightedge.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	10053

But if you angle the straight edge on the left it will bend and not be straight any more.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    If I'm reading you correctly you mean this;

Name:	straightedge.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	10053

But if you angle the straight edge on the left it will bend and not be straight any more.
    Hi,
    maybe you misunderstood me because of my English. I meant there are 2 types, beveled/like a knife/ and ones that look like bar. So as far i understood, you said that the beveled is better, cause you can see easier the light, when touching some surface to be measured.
    So what i believe, the square could be more useful for me, constructing a cnc, because it has 4 edges versus one of the beveled.

Name:	edge.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	10055

First it can serve as a master guide to straighten the first square shaft supported rail when mounting on the red axis, fig 1 , so its true straight

Then check the straightness on blue axis, fig2 /hence proper tightening on hopefully straight surface or if not-if properly shimmed.

Then check twist/ green axis/ fig 3 and 4.

With a beveled edge i don't see how you can perform and alight twist, as many of the beveled edges i saw are straight only at the knife beveled blade. fig 2 is where the beveled edge shines, but if i simply flip and use one corner, its the same.

Name:	edge 2.PNG 
Views:	353 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	10057

PS: edited, axis not showing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edge 2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	10056  
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 10-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.

I've got both and the bevelled edge is far more versatile and the one used most.

You cannot angle the straight edge like you show because your straight reference edge is lost because it's bending and will just follow the curvature of the surface. The reference edge is only meant to be used in one direction and must be 90deg to surface your checking any tilt/bend and error is introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I've got both and the bevelled edge is far more versatile and the one used most.

You cannot angle the straight edge like you show because your straight reference edge is lost because it's bending and will just follow the curvature of the surface. The reference edge is only meant to be used in one direction and must be 90deg to surface your checking any tilt/bend and error is introduced.
    Thanks, i get it now. Ok, i will look for a beveled one.

Now recapitulating everything it seems that the Maun even if not ultra accurate is made from carbon steel opposed to all other mentioned. And at theit web site i saw it was beveled.

So i send a couple of emails.

-To Maun, to ask them if its hardened carbon steel, cause at their web they don't say so, say steel. No carbon at any place. All sellers say carbon. We will see.
    -To Measuresop which Greeny suggested, cause here they have some beveled straight edges which look quite cheap , so i asked about the accuracy.
    -To Precison tools to see if they will ship to Spain this and if this can serve as a straight edge, cause it states tolerance 40micrometers
    - to ebay member who is selling the Igaging 36 inch to ask if he could check straightness before sending. yes, back here, as the brand ones a very expensive.

Will see what happens.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 12-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Thread Information