. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Is that trace from a time when it misbehaved? How sure are you that it's not contact bounce on the switch? Where is the driver input ground tied back to? Is the driver opto-isolated and are you sure the PIC is driving it hard enough?

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Hi Irving,

the trace shows any pulse generated by the PIC, I've looked at traces of randomly captured pulses and they are all the same. De-bounce is done on all switches, so they behave properly without any ringing etc.

From the manual the connections look like this:

I'm not sure what current consumptions the inputs have, but since it's all opto-isolated, I'm guessing the amount of current needed to drive them is not high. Looking at the above, the PUL+ is tied staight into the PIC output and PUL- is connected to 0VDC which is common to the PIC as well.

I can post a video later on to show how the 'clunking' looks like.

Regards,
    T.
    Last edited by dsc; 13-10-2013 at 12:04 PM.

3. so you're driving the input to the stepper driver direct from a PIC output? What PIC are you using?

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Indeed, although I've just noticed that I'm using the pins on the PIC as source and the diagram in the manual shows the controller pins as sink ie. PUL+ connected to 5VDC and PUL- to the pin on the controller. I have it the other way around, PUL+ connected to the pin (which goes high to generate pulse) and PUL- to 0VDC. I'll swap it around and do a test.

I'm using PIC16F887 to control the DM856.

Regards,
    T.

Thread Information