Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
I know it was late when I posted but I thought the Brits might get the pun.
Don't worry John, engineers know what a "detent" is but I needed my dictionary for "detente", the easing of strained relationships

I think Gary is feeling squeezed, hardly my intention. It looks like the Changzhou Fulling Motor Company have the cnc market fairly well stitched up when it comes to 2 phase NEMA 34 steppers. Unfortunately this new breed of CNC fanatics who buy stepper motors by holding torque rather than performance could eventually lead to the manufacture of some pretty weird motors if they ever become a significant part of the market rather than just a fringe. Let's hope it never happens :D

I can see Gary's problem, if he does the graphs showing the pull in torque falling away as speed increases when others don't, it's hardly going to help his sales. The market already seems hell bent on NEMA 23 size motors, possibly because you can fit it straight on the end of a ball screw on a table top mill without overhanging the bed.

However my colours are somewhat nailed to the mast, I have cut my fittings to take a NEMA 34 max length 90mm so it's either the FL86STH65 or the FL86STH80. The ebay item seems to have higher Ampage coils fitted than the UK offering, but do I actually need it? It certainly doesn't take a vast amount of torque to turn my handles, OTOH my max speed on a G00 is a tediously slow which is why the torque/speed graph is all important to me when deciding.