. .

Thread: Hello Group

Just a brief introduction. My name is Neil and I am just starting a build of a CNC router. Progress is ok considering I only get about 3-4 hours a week to play in my workshop. I have lots to do, but am not in a rush because I want to enjoy the build rather than get frustrated because I have not achieved an arbitrary deadline that I set myself!

I have had my workshop for a year and it is the best thing I have ever done. I used to make stuff when I was much younger but didn't have a lot of kit so had to be creative using my pillar drill for everything. Now I have a mill, lathe and assorted tools to help.

Great hobby for me and I would like to get my sons inspired so that they don't turn into vegetables staring at smarthphones instead of creating things. May lose that battle, but I am trying.

Well, not much more to say at this point although I will be posting a question regarding spindle choice as that is next on my shopping list.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hello Neil, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have all the tools and space needed to put together something very nice. What are you planning to cut with your machine?

I am pretty new to CNC world (I do have a working diy machine that i bought) so I doubt I will be helping with any of your problems, but there are some really clever people here with bags of experience that I'm sure will be happy to help .

I know what you mean with kids and smartphones. My kids are still babies, so I don't have to worry just yet, but I have seen quite a few of my friends teenagers and there phones.....Good luck with that one!

Cheers,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by cncJim View Post
    Hello Neil, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have all the tools and space needed to put together something very nice. What are you planning to cut with your machine?

I am pretty new to CNC world (I do have a working diy machine that i bought) so I doubt I will be helping with any of your problems, but there are some really clever people here with bags of experience that I'm sure will be happy to help .

I know what you mean with kids and smartphones. My kids are still babies, so I don't have to worry just yet, but I have seen quite a few of my friends teenagers and there phones.....Good luck with that one!

Cheers,

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

The main purpose (initially) is for machining a set of wishbone suspension arms for a robotics project I am developing
    for my company. I could not face making eight reasonably complex parts that had to identical (or at least two times four identical parts). I am a bit of a perfectionist and would no doubt re-make ones that had the slightest imperfection with them.

I will try and avoid wasting people's time with inane questions, but it is a nice feeling to know that there are many similar-minded people out there who have actually made and got working CNC machines. To be honest, I like the challenge of
    solving problems, but the ones that worry me the most are things like keeping the router gantry square and the controlled point parallel to the able across the whole range of x-and y-travel.

Cheers,

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by cambesol View Post
    Thanks Jim!

The main purpose (initially) is for machining a set of wishbone suspension arms for a robotics project I am developing
    for my company.
    Haha! the first thing I wanted to make house number sign! Your ambition sounds far more impressive!

I look forward to hearing about your plans for you machine.

Cheers,

Jim

Neil,
    Maybe a 3D printer would be better for you ? or better still a cnc and a 3D printer.

Thread Information