Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
I don't know exactly which motor you have but can you change the connections from star to delta ? it won't change the number of poles obviously but it would give a lot more torque. I've worked with motors for a long time and have never heard of rewinding an ac motor being described as, "simple and well within DIY territory".
My first thought was to look the at connections to see if I could reconnect as delta . The motor windings are well constructed with every thing tightly wrapped up varnished and baked, I don't know if it is star or delta at the moment and it would take a bit of risky digging to find out.

I have also worked with motors for a long time, I have in the past (~60 yrs ago) rewound the odd motor or two, things had not used to be so throwaway then, I also had the advantage of working at a motor manufacturing plant, so all the materials were readily available.

The actual laying in of the coils is a fairly easy mechanical task, particularly with 8 poles 24 slot single layer, and is well within my DIY territory.

The more technical aspect of rotor slots, flux densities,wire gauge and turns is a bit more challenging, as John S inferred, which is why I was looking for the experience of others who may be designers of motors. There are several programs available to help with this but was looking/hoping for a shortcut.