Thanks guys,

Yes indeed - it's pretty cool seeing something you've made make something else...

Jim - accuracy wise, yep, for the kind of stuff I'm going to be making I'm reasonably happy with the accuracy. Of course, compare this to real world precision engineering and it's just a toy - to take it to the next level would require not only better grades of accuracy/stiffness in the components used, but also a more refined approach to assembling/measuring/adjusting the finished machine. For example, (using the rather laborious process of shimming) I can get the dial gauge mounted in the spindle to stay at 0 spinning it from the left to the right of the table - however, front to back I'm seeing a 0.05mm rise over around 20cms. I'll try to iron that out, but for the moment I'm living with it.

Adrian, software wise - .pdf of the profiles/pockets/drill holes etc. generated in Illustrator. Toolpaths created with Vectric's Cut2D (really nice, easy to use piece of software - can't recommend it highly enough...) Machine control by LinuxCNC - again, top software and easy to get a handle on the basics of operating it (which is as far as I've got).

Thanks again to the MyCNC Forum and everyone who has contributed an opinion along with advice/encouragement.

Wal.