I am working on a job right now profiling some OSB 18mm sheets. The dimensions are somewhat important say plus or minus 1mm but the edge quailty is not, just as long as it does not right the board to shreds with tear out.

I am currently running a 9.5mm compression spiral from wealdon tools, they are about £50 each the finish is good for about 10 to 15 sheets of a mixture of birch ply, mdf and standard ply. I feel this bit is too good to use on OSB, the edges are crisp on both side of the part but this is overkill.

With the compression bit I am running the machine at 3.6-4m/min, its a 3 axis thermwood with a 10hp head. I currently cut the 18mm board in two passes.

I know I should be doing this in one pass and prob at a higher feedrate but im scared about breaking bits at £50 each.

I think I need a rougher bit, apparently these should stay sharp for more boards, cut with more speed and less noise. The trade off is the cut is not as clean as the cutting edge is serrated.

Looking for some advice from anyone with experience cutting OSB or plywood with these bits. Where should I be looking to buy these from. Should I go for a larger diameter bit than 10mm to avoid breakages.

Many thanks