. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_m View Post
    Hello Suesi, im new onto here and ive rushed a bit prematurely into a Denford Microrouter compact. did you get this completed and running reliably? i would be very interested in whatthe outcome was and how much its cost to convert too.

thanks, Paul

All done and running now :)

That is great Paul. I hope that you start making cool parts and having fun soon.

Best of luck

Suesi

@paul_m, suesi34e

Hi, I have a Denford microrouter which I would like to upgrade. Please could you tell me what route you chaps went for with this. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer59 View Post
    @paul_m, suesi34e

Hi, I have a Denford microrouter which I would like to upgrade. Please could you tell me what route you chaps went for with this. Many thanks.
    I can answer this for you because it was me that converted the machine. Which actually started life with Suesi34e then went to Paul.

Bascily it was gutted with the exception of the DC speed controller. New 50V Digital drives/psu and CSlabs ip-M motion control card where used.
    This was a high quality convertion which cost more than some would have spent but it shows in the end result. The old machine setup could only dream about performing like it does now.

It's possible to hack one of the exisitng boards so the old drives can be used but IMO they are low quailty and old technology so not worth the trouble.
    You'll have much better machine if you use modern digital drives and run with higher voltage than the standard 36v. Connect them to a decent motion control card rather than the parallel port and you'll have nice machine that is reliable and performs like it never did before.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Sorry for my delay in reply,
    Firstly thanks to JAZZCNC for the conversion, an excellent amazing job which was far superior to anything i could have achieved.
    I will confirm that i did pay more than i could have been done for, but i wanted the best components and the best reliability option. This was so that any problems or issues were all down to my ability and not the machine or control of it. But i dad state that only use components you would be willing to use on your own systems.
    The unit its absolutely exceptional for such a small package.
    My learning has been fun and annoying equally, but i do know that all the problems hit have been down to human error and not the machine.
    The enclosed cabinet makes it very quiet and minimises dust massively.
    Mach3 is relatively easy to use once set up (again thanks JAZZ) although i do have a screen size/resolution issue now (its shrunk).

Unfortunately this package will be up for sale soon as i think i may be ready for something with a larger working surface.

Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_m For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your replies. I've had the machine for quite a while and it functions ok on the old software. Rather slow but ok for hobby use. I'd really like to have a more up to date system but I'm going to have to think about this some more as I'm not sure I want to commit that kind of money to this machine when I would really like something bigger myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer59 View Post
    I'm going to have to think about this some more as I'm not sure I want to commit that kind of money to this machine when I would really like something bigger myself.
    Like Said it could be done cheaper but with lot more messing around and no where near the same level of performance and reliabilty. End of the day you get what you pay for. It's just a case of justifying the Cost and if it don't suit then just accept what it will do and live with it or move on.

Personally unless you have specific needs for an quite enclosed machine like Paul did then I couldn't justify the costs and would move on and build one or have built a machine that suits your needs better.
    I wouldn't convert one of these machines half hearted. It would be all or nothing and to me they are an excellent toy for learning but they are still a toy in real routing terms.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Like Said it could be done cheaper but with lot more messing around and no where near the same level of performance and reliabilty. End of the day you get what you pay for. It's just a case of justifying the Cost and if it don't suit then just accept what it will do and live with it or move on.

Personally unless you have specific needs for an quite enclosed machine like Paul did then I couldn't justify the costs and would move on and build one or have built a machine that suits your needs better.
    I wouldn't convert one of these machines half hearted. It would be all or nothing and to me they are an excellent toy for learning but they are still a toy in real routing terms.
    i think i may need to pop to see you to start planning phase 2 of this learning cycle.. more so.. the costings
    and obviously the wife not finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_m View Post
    and obviously the wife not finding out.
    Erm the old trouble and strife.!! . . . I'm about as poplular as dose of Thrush and Piles together with those things.! Maybe if I designed cloths and hair machines they'd be more pleased to see me.!!. . Lol

You know where to find me.!!

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Denford use 24V logic in all thier stuff, so ideally you'd use a BOB/controller that is 24V tolerant.
    Basic option is to just replace the main control board (the board with the serial connector plugs, which sits on top/plugs into the board with the terminals), trace the terminals and solder into the headers on the terminal board.

More advanced option is replace that entire board, with a controller and 3 new stepper drivers.

For 24V controller, the three I can think of just now are CS-Lab, KFlop+Kanalog, and PLCM (Zapp sell them). CS-Lab and PLCM would require some form of step to analogue converter for the spindle control board. There may also be an issue with the homing sensors that Denford used (they used to use NAMUR output, but I think they swapped to something a bit more sensible at some point)
    Hi, Do you have “baldor D281 motion control card for a triac P. C. (denford), red 7-segment LED display type. The firmware is ESMINT 3.28 V1.6H/S - JD5.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information