Hi Dean,

Yeah, I hear ya - this was more of a test than anything. I have some buffing wheels/mops which I'm still getting the hang of - there's definitely a knack to be acquired. I had a go at the G that I cut a while back, I didn't give it enough prep/wet-dry etc, and there are some awkward areas to get into, but not a bad result. With all its nooks, I reckon it would tumble to a nicer finish once prepped properly...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G.gif 
Views:	1077 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	12471

I also think that 1050 would benefit from tumbling, it's so bloody soft that those switch plates I did were even picking up micro-scratches from the Vienna lime/final polishing cloth... But like I say, might just be me not doing it right or a particularly soft batch of alu.

Anyway, with all that said - because most of what I do are 'one-off small scale no rush' jobs, I'm quite happy to pop parts like the plates in overnight - until I get the hang of polishing/buffing it's a good way to guarantee a consistent finish. With the quadrilateral plates in the OP it was also hugely important that the edges stayed as flat as possible - not something you'd want to ride a sisal wheel over...

Cheers!

Wal.