. .

Thread: My Machine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Another creep.............:wave:

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Michael,

Yes we're local - I'm towards Mackworth...
    Thanks for the offer - I may just take you up on that... It'd be good to hear the router running! Also, i'd be interested to see how the properly built machines deal with the leadscrew thrust. There seem to be various options and a look at your machine and a chat would be gold-dust. I'll PM you, maybe meet up sometime after the bank holiday if that's convenient...

Cheers for the kress link John. One part of me is saying you don't get something for nothing, and another is saying OUCH! :)

Trend T4 is £70 incl collets
    Kress 800FM is £126 + £26 for a couple of collets

Tom,
    I have never used a Trend so I don't known what they are like but I had a Kress 800w on my router up until last week. The thumbwheel on the Kress is marked 1 to 6 1 being about 10,000 and 6 being 30 odd thou.

If you keep to just over 2, probably about 12,000 or so they are quiet, enough so you can work at the side of them.
    Flat out you have to walk away.

I try to run at 2 or thereabouts and it works for me.

Just got a new air cooled Chinese spindle, 24,000 rpm max.
    at 12,000 it's quieter than the Kress but at 24,000 that still chucks a bit of noise out but nowhere near as much.
    The noise isn't a motor noise but fan noise, I'd like to get hold of one of the small water cooled spindles and se how they perform with no fan.

John S.

Your welcome Tom,

Not sure as my machine is properly built... Its better than something made out of old drawers and bits of old pine! but its not perfect, however i can advise you on what not to do no problem.

Seriously, i build large CNC machines (up to 6m x 30m, yes meters) for a living so i'm sure I can point you in the correct direction mate.

Thanks Hilton steve for your comments, you seem a nice bloke your self!

Michael

Michael,
    How do they drive the 30 meter axis ?
    The reason I ask is I was involved with largish laser some years ago, 3 meter x 2 meter 3Kw up to 5Kw.

When they moved onto higher speed lasers, Bystronic's , the dropped the ball screws in favour of precision rack and pinion because the screws whipped at speed.
    The rack and pinion was still able to guarantee 0.02mm on position.

John s.

Hey John, will you keep us posted with the events as they become available? You could even post them into the site calendar if you would be kind enough to?

If I was to get some flyer's printed up would you be willing to hand them out when you’re at the shows to help bring the members in for the site ? I was thinking flyers or maybe business card size that you could bundle with your other bumf?
    .Me

Hey Tom, check this post out: [ame="http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2649&postcount=5"]Link[/ame] Just like the T3/4 only £20 each if you look around.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Michael,
    How do they drive the 30 meter axis ?
    The reason I ask is I was involved with largish laser some years ago, 3 meter x 2 meter 3Kw up to 5Kw.

When they moved onto higher speed lasers, Bystronic's , the dropped the ball screws in favour of precision rack and pinion because the screws whipped at speed.
    The rack and pinion was still able to guarantee 0.02mm on position.

John s.
    Rack and Pinion by Gudel John, Pretty much the only option for axis of that length (and mass). Also easy to extend as the ganrty runs on huge precision rails fastened to the floor.

Michael.

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    something made out of old drawers and bits of old pine!
    You've seen my build thread then! ;)

Lee and John, thanks for the info - i'm going to Michael's later in the week to hear what a trend sounds like. I'm going to make my decision based on that. I've got my grandad's words running through my head - buy on price, buy twice. Could get expensive...

If you want to then pop round to see what a Kress sounds like you are welcome to pop in.

John S.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information