. .

Thread: Aluminum finish

I saw a interesting video on You tube . Demonstrating a machine, which more or less is similar to a good DIY heavy duty router.

So at the end they used 1 flute 6mm ball nose cutter to finish the aluminum. I did not know they even existed. I like very much the result and i wonder if sb. uses the same technique and illuminate me about that last pass, depth of cut, %, speeds, etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Demonstrating a machine, which more or less is similar to a good DIY heavy duty router.
    I would swop my router for that. Not sure about your thinking ! that machine is more like £80,000 plus tools. ..Clive

I've had my hands on one of these machines and Believe me Datron machine it's nothing like what you or I can build in our Sheds without some very special machines to help and full of Cash.!!. . . They are an awsome piece of kit with a very advanced closed loop control system and ridiculously accurate and expensive ground ballscrews connected to high count servo's. Ence the speed and accuracy. And I haven't even started on the Granite base, This thing is so Numb you can hit with a hammer and it just goes Thud no ringing or tinging.!! . . German Engineeering at it's best.!!

The reason they get the finish is because it has 60,000rpm spindle with a very high pressure mist coolant system with coolant designed just for Aluminium that cools and evaporates very quickly and costs a fortune.!! The step over is also tiny and why they have the feeds rates so high. This is what sets them apart form DIY because mine or your machine won't be able to reach those feed rates and still maintain the accuracy.

I also thought that I could build a machine to match a Datron untill I saw one in the flesh and working then realised NO WAY without a POT FULL of Cash and some very expensive surface grinding machinery to help.!! . . . . I'll keep trying to get close thou. .

The spindle alone would cost more than most will spend on the very best DIY machine build.

Yes, seems i was overexcited. However i don't see a reason why not continue to strive. Now i started to want to make a machine that will not ring after a direct hit with a hammer

Thread Information