. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,
    You need a miny version of my recent aqusition.!! . . . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0538.jpg 
Views:	1105 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	13430

The column won't be the weak link thou it could be made much stronger.! It will be the narrow head and weak base. Would look at making the Head have wider foot print by either using wide section or placing wide think plate on front of Section.

The base is far too Flimsy IMO and will require much more substance and bracing to avoid twist and stress from every thing above. You shouldn't rely on fastening the base to a frame for strength because this will introduce error in the frame by pulling and twisting. The base is the foundation and your starting with crumbling bed rock.!!
    Look at the base of the machine above it's one Solid cast Iron lump with coolant tank built into it so it's very very heavy and dense to resist the forces from above.

From the outside the column looks like hollow box section but it's actually made up of 5 Thick steel plates welded and braced. If you look and zoom in you can see thru the lifting holes just how thick the material is. You can also just see the Red counter balance weight which is a Big lump of steel on round linear guide. That head is perfectly ballanced and I can lift it with one finger.!!

Personally I would forget using section and Epoxy Etc for the strong parts and make a weldment machine using thick steel plate and lots of bracing. If you do go down the Hollow section route just fill the Section with Sand it's much easier and dampens resonace good which is what your wanting. It's also easy to remove when moving.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Thread Information