Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
Interesting requirements. Any chance of explaining the purpose of these parts, especially given the low accuracy requirement.

Some clarifications please:
1. Is the slot axial or radial to the CHS, or continuous in both e.g a spiral?
2. You say the slot is 12mm dia. Do you really mean width? The sides of the slot are perpendicular and the slot is centred axially on the workpiece's rotational axis.
3. Is this a one or two man operation? 3m of 114 x 5mm CHS weighs 23kg and is bulky.
4. How close to the end of the material does the slot have to be machined?

Given the length of the parts I would consider buying an off-the-shelf mill with required rigidity and throat capacity then building a custom material transport. I'd envisage a series of v-rollered supports for the bulk of the workpiece, some form of hollow hydraulic chuck to clamp/rotate the workpiece, fixed to the table of the mill for fine X movement and a feeder mechanism to give the bulk/rapid X movement.
Firstly, cheers for taking the time to reply mate. Appreciate it.

As for the product, it is something I prefer to keep as tight-lipped about as possible. But the slot will be of spiral shape (or helical?). It will cover no less than 90 degrees of the work piece and will be mirrored on the opposite side.

Yes apologies, width would be the right term. (I think I said diameter because currently I have to drill two 12mm holes and link them up by using a cutting disc.)

It is a one OR two man operation, of course depending on the size of the material needing slotted.

I have decided I will be using a 12mm slot drill so the start of the slot will always be 9mm away from the edge of the material, regardless of length or diameter. (15mm to the centre of the first cut)

I am on a really tight budget which is why I have listed my requirements to build a DIY machine solely for this purpose.

I am a fabricator by trade, so any structures would be easily rattled together. Its more the motors, electrics etc etc that pickle my head.

Steeki.