. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So Neale what you do normally when you start your machine? Bump the gantry to some gantry hard stops as a dedicated Linux user?

Its seems incredible, but its the same with Mach3. I am sure half of the motion control plugins are not capable of it or are very obscure. Mostly cause people who write them have mills and dont have a way to try it or think that all people in the world use servos with absolute encoders.

The way i see it it is a must for steppers.

2. No, my current machine doesn't even have home switches, so I'm not exactly pushing the limits of LinuxCNC!
    I know that LinuxCNC does not support master/slave motors; thinking about it, I've never looked at whether or not Mach3 supports this natively (via parallel port, no motion controller). Is this a capability that comes from a motion controller, not Mach3?

So what you need is someone with a IP-M to test this for you.!!. . . . . Ermmm

Well It just so happens I know a guy, who knows a guy, who's got a friend who knows a Gal, who's brothers got a couple sitting around doing nothing. .

Ok I'll try and test how it works for you. Not got a dual axis machine in a build state to test just at minute but I'm sure I can Rig up something to test how the motors sync and home on the bench.!. . . . Leave it with me a few days(weeks,months,years!!)

I've Nagged CSlabs brains out for this option since I started using these and it was mentioned that it couldn't be done due to hardware restrictions so I'm intrigued my self.?
    I suspect it will work just like any other mach3 motion controller in that each motor just hits the switch and backs off. The IP-S works the same with steppers, thou it can HOME using the Index signal of servo encoders or if shaft encoders are fitted, where the IP-M can't do this I believe.
    The IP-S also has an option to measure the trip error between switches and correct. This works very well because I tested it the other week using dial gauges and setting a large error. It brought it back perfectly to within 1000's/mm.

It also the option to measure and Not correct the error just display error in the plugin.
    Know to me the this is useful but not like your probably thinking.? It's useful to me for setting the switches accurately as it works out the error between them so I could set the gantry square without twisting the gantry to make square, Which you don't want or need too ! . . Now I'm sure Golden Balls could easily do all this with the Pic up is arse.!! . . But I'm into using machines which means I want a quick way to set the machine accurately and forget not thrashing the few remaining bits of gray matter or pulling my Togger over capabilty's of Pic.!

I'll most a Vid if I get time.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-11-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Thread Information