. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I looked at the warco knee mill but ended getting the gh universal. just fitted a dro to it. Can I have the power feed unit?

Nice machine Jazz. Where is the controller?

I'll be doing the Z axis by using an external bracket (I believe the correct term for the plate is "honking plate") and ballscrew. As Dean says there's lots of backlash in the quill handle so I'm not going that route!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I'll be doing the Z axis by using an external bracket (I believe the correct term for the plate is "honking plate") and ballscrew. As Dean says there's lots of backlash in the quill handle so I'm not going that route!

Could you show me a photo of what you mean by this method ? Sounds cool though

If you look in the mill conversion threads for Robin Hewitt conversion you'll see exactly what I was talking about. Robin has already converted a warco mill, though not one like yours.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I did the Warco Major. I think your plan to convert it using the existing screws is exactly the right way to go, that is what I did, but you will need a screw to drive the quill if your motor doesn't have the legs to lift the bed.
    Once you have a working cnc mill you can decide if you want to make it better.
    A man has to ask himself, how much backlash is too much?

Just on the first stages of design. This is the first version for the x-axis cnc mounting. I am looking at using 48 tooth 9mm HTD5 and 16 tooth 9mm HTD5 pulleys. Next drawings will be for the y-axis. Im saving the z-axis till last as I think it will take me a very long time.

I forgot to add the slots on the stepper mounting to allow for belt tensioning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISO.PNG 
Views:	195 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	14264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISOopen.PNG 
Views:	201 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	14263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.PNG 
Views:	200 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	14262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear1.PNG 
Views:	190 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	14265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear.PNG 
Views:	183 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	14266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drawingsheet.PNG 
Views:	200 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	14267  
    Last edited by thorphar; 31-12-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    have you thought about driving the base of the z axis screw rather than the right angled motion shaft. More direct than either method you described.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    have you thought about driving the base of the z axis screw rather than the right angled motion shaft. More direct than either method you described.

Good thought.

I did have a thought about direct driving the x and y with a stepper. However, after looking at other conversions it seems that everyone has done belt systems rather than direct drive, and only direct drive on smaller machines. All that I could think of for being an advantage would be that you would increase the available torque. Im not sure how much torque is required however im sure that a single Nema 23 3Nm stepper would be suitable for operating the axis'.

If anyone has any some thoughts on this, again any suggestions would be sooo helpful.

There are 2 kinds of toothed pulleys, timing belt and power transmission. I use XL pulleys because I have been caught out by backlash the one time I strayed. I am not saying HTD5 is wrong, but have you checked?
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 31-12-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information