. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jazz, I totally agree with what you are saying. I got on here a few months back with the intention to build a small very sturdy router from alu and after calculating the cost and seeing the nice solid steel builds and not fully understanding remarks like "use larger profile" and "extra weight might be a good", things got out of hand
    Etc etc. I for one agree completely that if you're not careful things can get a bit out of hand. Its alright trying to measure to the nth degree in the morning and then when the sun comes out in the afternoon (or in the case in England when the big wood burner gets going) the whole machine has expanded and the first lot of measurements go out the window.

I do realise that different people see things in different ways but as Dean has pointed out we have to be careful not to put people off in what is achievable to the average Joe Blogs trying to build a machine in his garage with just basic tools and I would suspect there are quite a few folk out there wanting to build a machine having never even been in a true machine shop.

I could not have built my router without the help of some of the truly helpful guys on here.
    So lets keep it light. As this forum is a mine of information and I have met some really nice and genuine people on here. Happy New Year ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 29-12-2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Grammer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Well said Clive In the end most of us are building and using these machines for pure entertainment value whether its a little 6"x 6" mdf router with old hard drive steppers or a 3x2m monstrosity, as long as everyone is having fun doing it, all is good. As soon as I have finished this ice cold beer you subtly suggested I'll be back in the shed to continue bolting the battlestar galaxtica together and I sure as hell hope I don't discourage anybody else to pursue there cnc dreams by doing so :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchejc For This Useful Post:

Thread Information