. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. I've got a rage 2 and whilst its not the highest quality bit of kit, for the price it's awesome and when patient setting up I've cut within a fraction of a millimetre with it.

No fans of the vertical band saw around here?

they have there uses trispectiv.

but for a straight cut end, il use the cut off saw.
    Last edited by T0rnado69; 16-02-2015 at 02:14 AM. Reason: typo

4. Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    they have there uses trispectiv.

but for a straight cut end, il use the cut off saw.
    Agreed. I love my vertical bandsaw but not for this kind of work. You would be standing there for ever and the cut wouldn't be straight in the end anyway. Get a cold cutoff you won't regret it!

I got this horizontal band saw http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...utting-bandsaw which I use for chopping up small billets etc. You've got to set it up and keep an eye on it bt it's pretty accurate. Advantage is that it'll cut at angles too which comes in handy and you can leave it going whilst doing something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horizontal_Saw.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	14675

If you're cutting lots of 90° cuts then a cut off saw would be better.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I used to cut a lot of steel and aly section, started off with a bandsaw but moved on to the cut off saw, would definitely say the cut off saw. Bandsaw was very slow and the cuts were not as accurate as the cut off, just need to be aware that the cut off saw produces a lot of swarf and plenty of sparks if cutting steel although the blades with teeth produce less sparks than the grinding wheel type. Would also choose the Bosch brand over sealey any day. I have also used the Fury saw, a capable machine for the money although a bit 'light weight'. Dewalt also make good machines but are not cheap but then again my dewalt sliding mitre saw has been going for over 15 years without a problem.

Al

I like the Rage cutoff, I used mine to cut a lot of old type thick walled steel scaffold poles into 6' lengths, if I need a lot of cuts fast then out it comes, it would be nice to make a better base & vice arrangement for it. The Rage is not for Titanium or any but free-machining stainless though.
    The Rapidor Manchester power hacksaw does most of the cutting in my workshop, it's not fast but it runs unattended up the corner leaving me free for other work during cuts, it handles just about anything up to about 6" diameter and the blades last an unprecedented length of time, my last blade was over a year old when it's cuts slowed noticeably signalling time for replacement.
    The Sealey horizontal band saw fits between the two in terms of capabilities and doesn't get much use at the moment,

- Nick

Thread Information