Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
Nathaniel I'm not sure your fully understanding some things.?

First what your calling a controller is actually just a Breakout board and does nothing but provide an interface to the Motion control device or Parallel port.
Also The Gemini speed controller is for controlling spindle speed so you don't need a VFD. I'm not familiar with these machines but I'd take a guess that it's also using a DC motor for spindle and the Gemini is a DC speed controller.
VFD is Three phase motor speed control and often used to convert single phase input to three phase output.

I'd also take an educated guess and say the Contactor is 24V but it could be AC or DC. I recently stripped a Boxford Lathe and that used Yaskawa 24Vac contactor with power taken from the transformer which provided multiple outputs.
Thank you for replying, yes I know it's a BoB boar, not the controller, sorry I got a bit confused with words there.

the spindle is dc and does receive an ac input for power direct from mains, so there is ac going through the yaskawa relay. I guess what I'm needing is a, a dictionary to confirm the terms I'm using, b a spindle controller which outputs 0-10v (although 8v is max speed )
i will look into the 24v ac contractors online and see if it matches anything in the wiring diagrams I have.