. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yep it's easy really.!

Aircooled Cons.
    Aircooled have a Duty cycle so can't run extended periods. How long depends on make and size etc. They are also relatively noisey because they cool using a Fan just like a handheld router does.

Pro's No external water cooling pipes etc.

WC Pro's
    Watercooled don't have any duty cycle can run for days at time without any issues. No Fans so very quite.

Cons's

Needs water pump and tank for cooling if running long periods.

Now given your short run requirements and knowing that WC spindles will quite happily run for 30mins or more without any cooling then I'd say go with WC spindle for the quiter running and if you ever do need extended period running then just add a pump and water.!!
    WC spindles don't need much cooling or fancy WC system just a simple submersible pump in sealed Tub of water works great.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-02-2015 at 09:17 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your reply mate.
    I like the idea of a quiet spindle over a noisy hand held router! I think I may go for a water spindle I heard a quiet one on a youtube video. I just hope it goes OK!
    Thanks
    Suesi

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yep it's easy really.!

Aircooled Cons.
    Aircooled have a Duty cycle so can't run extended periods. How long depends on make and size etc. They are also relatively noisey because they cool using a Fan just like a handheld router does.

Pro's No external water cooling pipes etc.

WC Pro's
    Watercooled don't have any duty cycle can run for days at time without any issues. No Fans so very quite.

Cons's

Needs water pump and tank for cooling if running long periods.

Now given your short run requirements and knowing that WC spindles will quite happily run for 30mins or more without any cooling then I'd say go with WC spindle for the quiter running and if you ever do need extended period running then just add a pump and water.!!
    WC spindles don't need much cooling or fancy WC system just a simple submersible pump in sealed Tub of water works great.

Spindles themselves are much quieter than routers and once you have one there is no going back. However the noise of the cutting tool in the workpiece is still quite high and if this still bothers you then you need an enclosure around the whole machine
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Hi routercnc,

Thank you for your msg. The spindles sound good I think that is how I will go. I don't mind the noise from the cutting tools so I will not need and enclosure.

Thanks again

Suesi

Thread Information