. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Gents,

I'm currently cleaning up an old vice and would like to repaint it, which of course means removing the old paint. Any suggestions on what works best for this? mind you I'll be doing this inside, at home (not in a garage) so I'd prefer something safe, even if it means it needs to sit overnight or takes longer. The vice is a size B00, bit bigger than my hand (and I have fairly standard hands), so generally I can soak it in a bucket or easily maneuver etc.

Cheers,
    T.

The weather's not too bad so I'd do it outside with Nitromorse, wearing overalls, gloves & glasses.
    I don't know of a good "safe" paint stripper, as with a gun the real safety is the user ;-)

- Nick

Nitromors is no fun since they removed the DCM, very much an outdoor activity, sure heard of DCM and wallpaper paste being used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Methylene-...item2eddc41583

Or soak in caustic soda, its what dip-n-strip used,

Or mebbe really just need loose paint off before repainting?

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I've heard Nitromors is no longer any good, apparently does very little on stubborn paint. DCM on the other hand - apparently nasty stuff and can corrode metal if what they say on the internet is true. Found that 3M does something called Tal-strip II which is meant to be super quick and works on pretty much anything, shame it's hard to get in the UK.

Thinking about inside vs outside I do have a bit of a green area outside of the house, so indeed with the weather getting better I can stick something in a bucket / cardboard box and leave it to work, then use double gloves / mask to clean off and get primed for painting. I'd like to get the old paint off as it's chipped in places and if I just repaint it will look sloppy.

T.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    A bit of a curve-ball, but I bought some of this an age ago:

https://www.trade1st.co.uk/trade-str...FYrLtAodwzUAAA

It worked wonderfully for it's intended purpose (removing graffiti) but recently I used it on a small section of old-school powder-coat. I left it on for 20 minutes or so, after which the coat slid off - I barely needed to touch it.

For something that's safe/non-solvent/smells of apples, it's ridiculously powerful.

Wal.

Hi Guys

I've used the following "Peelaway 7" on stubborn wood stain and it does the job beautifully, although it is not cheap but extremely effective. See here http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/...peelaway-seven. Works on wood, metal stone etc. The best paint remover I have ever used!

Also Paint Panther is good. Cheaper than Peelaway but more faff involved and definitely better/nicer than the reformulated Nitromors . See here http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/...arnish-remover

Regards
    Mike

wirebrush , if you dont have an angle grinder , then maybe a drill ? wirebrush attachments work great !

if not by hand ...

but as mentioned , if the paint is sticking , id use it as a primer and just paint over after wiping down with thinners/acetone

In the end I've decided to try Peelaway, got the sample pack with both the Peelaway 1 and 7, should arrive today. Not so sure on the use of the 'blanket', but I'm guessing it's there to limit access to air and let the chemicals work with no oxygen? Dunno how well that's going to work on a rather complicated piece like a vice.

Yesterday I've used some Corrossion X Rust Remover on some spots, brushed it on, worked really well, although some pieces have to be left overnight. Next part is to buy some enamel paint and get the thing finished.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

T.

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    In the end I've decided to try Peelaway, got the sample pack with both the Peelaway 1 and 7, should arrive today. Not so sure on the use of the 'blanket', but I'm guessing it's there to limit access to air and let the chemicals work with no oxygen? Dunno how well that's going to work on a rather complicated piece like a vice.

Yesterday I've used some Corrossion X Rust Remover on some spots, brushed it on, worked really well, although some pieces have to be left overnight. Next part is to buy some enamel paint and get the thing finished.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

T.
    Hi Dsc.
    Put it on as a 2-3mm thick coat evenly all over, cover with the thin plastic sheet they supply and leave for 24 hours. Lift a small piece, should peelway all paint down to bare metal. I've done this on stairs with a dark wood stain an varnish and it completely removed the stain and varnish. All I had to do afterwards was to sand down ready for painting!

Regards
    Mike

Cheers Mike, will try it tonight. Just ordered some gloss Paragon Paint, planning to have it all done this week.

Rgds,
    T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information