. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks guys

Your advise makes sense to me and I would rather spend a bit more and get a machine that will last me a few years.

I will limp along with my current machine and start saving.

Expect me back in a few months with more questions :)

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeMaking View Post
    Thanks guys

Your advise makes sense to me and I would rather spend a bit more and get a machine that will last me a few years.

I will limp along with my current machine and start saving.

Expect me back in a few months with more questions :)
    Why wait a few months with the questions its amazing how much you can learn from just following the forum input and asking question on anything you do not follow. Good luck with the hopefully new build. ..Clive

That is a very good point actually.

I will need something to aim for. Without the option of a kit or guide, I'm going to need some pointers about which direction to go. I'll list my requirements that I need from the machine and perhaps we can go from there.

Predominantly woodworking machine. All types of wood, sheet, soft, hard, etc. I sometimes run acrylic sheet, but mostly wood. (It would be nice to play with aluminium in the future, but bottom of the list of requirements)
    Spindle needs to take up to 1/2" router bits (My current machine has a 4mm shaft/collet) I would consider 1/4" bits at a push.
    Max working area 600x1000mm. With ability to feed work through the bed. Z height can be as little as 75mm, but 100mm would be better.
    Speed is not as much of an importance over cut quality. I'm running mostly V Carve signs.
    I guess software is straight forward. My current machine is locked into rubbish. Mach3 or 4 would be fine.
    Dust Extraction can come later. I don't have any at the moment.

In terms of building the machine, I have no metal working facilities, so alu profile would be preferred. I'm confident with wiring, electronics, soldering etc. I have kit-built a couple of 3D printers before.

So where do I start? Which of the many builds posted here should I follow for ideas?

From an inexperienced point of view, I like the 'look' of the OX CNC Machine

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/ope...c-machine.341/

But I understand from reading here that the wheel system that it uses is not the best design?

Thread Information