. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you for taking the time to write your reply. I am quite the " Noob " at CNC but your clear and concise reply has made what seemed like the impossible this morning quite possible as i sit here now. Im sure there will be a lot of trial and error in the process but i now have a starting point that i can understand ! Thank you so much, it is truly appreciated !

The 160 has no way of knowing which tool is loaded, so always end your programs with gcode which will return the turret to the Tool1 position.

I have a cheat sheet of the the number of moves to get from T1 to T2, T1 to T3 etc. The further it turns forwards, the more I have to move it back to be certain it has locked. I could work out the moves better but I prefer to work in whole numbers.

Most of the work on a lathe is pretty simple so I too write the gcode directly without needing CAM software. I've pretty much mastered simple cuts and threading and am starting to incorporate curves now.

I've found using delrin really helps for initial runs because inadvisable tool moves then just break the plastic, rather than the machine.

Adrian.
    Last edited by Saracen; 19-10-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    The 160 has no way of knowing which tool is loaded, so always end your programs with gcode which will return the turret to the Tool1 position.
    Why not fit a Home switch to T1 and remove all doubt.? Just home the machine at the begining of each day and you'll never get lost. Then let the Tool change macro do all the hard work of remembering which tool is current and moving distance to next tool.!

10 mins work will save hours of coding and remove any possible chance of error from a typo or brain fart.!!

Hmm, something to think about once I've got the wiring all tidied up.

I think I have a limit location left on the controller which would be suitable.

Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Why not fit a Home switch to T1 and remove all doubt.? Just home the machine at the begining of each day and you'll never get lost. Then let the Tool change macro do all the hard work of remembering which tool is current and moving distance to next tool.!

10 mins work will save hours of coding and remove any possible chance of error from a typo or brain fart.!!
    Hi Jazz,

I've recently resurrected my TCL160 conversion project.
    It was shelved due to my retirement (Hooooray)
    Sold up in Lancashire and now relocated to the Scottish Border village of Denholm near Hawick.

I'm using an ESS Smooth Stepper with a CM106 break out board.
    The TCL160 has the original Frequol inverter drive and motor fitted (ZO24) so I will use that to control the spindle motor.
    I notice that besides the normal connections to the motor U,V,W,Stf,Str etc there are two additional light blue wires marked 11 & 12 disappearing into the motor harness, I haven't a clue what these are for, any ideas ??

I like the idea of a homing sensor on the tool turret to ensure that the tool is at position No1
    If possible is there any chance of getting a copy of the Macro for the tool changer ?? with details of how I add it to MachTurn.

I'm sure there will be more questions so please be patient with me.

Regards

George

Thread Information