. .
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    bit of a thread hijack sorry.

so when I got the machine it turned on and worked, but every time I started the spindle it tripped the RCD. I notice straight away the main fuse on the sprint drive card had been bridged, so assuming it was a known problem.

after many hours of faffing I took the top cover off the sem motor and it was filled with burnt carbon from the brushes. after a really really good clean and hoover, it worked and didn't trip the rcd.

I also replaced the brushes in the side of the sem motor just for piece of mind.

a problem since I had the machine is you start the spindle at say 3000rpm and it starts to jump around going up and down, by like 300-400rpm. so sent it away for a £500 refurb and it hasn't fixed the problem just changed the problem. now days when I set the motor to 3200rpm, it will go to that speed then after about 10 seconds jumps to 3800 where it will just sit until turned off. its not a big deal I have live spindle feed back so I can account for it, but it shouldn't be doing it.
    I had similar issues. Brushes need to be clean and carbon free (And clearly not worn out). I stripped the motor down as far as I could and found that previously someone had put some putty on the wingdings. I Can only assume the motor had basically started to fail and this was a 'plaster' to keep it going.

I would only get around 30% of full current before the motor would stall. It would then overheat and start smoking from the brush area.

I triple checked the setup and verified with the supplier of the drive (they were really good) - KEITH SANSBY <[email protected]> . So clearly the motor was the problem. Symptoms also included 'hunting' around high speed and any loading would make it worse.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,911. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    put some putty on the wingdings.
    I've just got to say, that typo made me smile :-)

Did you get any pics of how the servo fitted?
    Last edited by m_c; 20-03-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

LOL, I saw that after too but left it.

No, but will sort. I do have some older pics, lemme see if I can find them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161120_150601_30990488312_o.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	21200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161126_161054_31113676572_o.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	21201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161127_115220_31156544301_o.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	21202

Difficult to show with existing pics. Ill take a vid on the weekend.

Tight squeeze, had to remove some material for it to fit and a pic of the bracket used.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,911. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That's certainly a tight fit.
    Any idea what size flange is on the motor?

I think a 100mm flange motor would squeeze in, however I couldn't find any with the power I was aiming for, so opted for a 110mm motor, and spacing it up.

6. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

I think a 100mm flange motor would squeeze in, however I couldn't find any with the power I was aiming for, so opted for a 110mm motor, and spacing it up.
    Ill share the sizes tonight. Ive got the original flange drawn up as well as the info on the Panasonic 1.5 KW servo.

7. Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post

The plate that goes across for the DC motor is 115mm x 110mm (Depth).

The motor mount bolts are 81mm across from C to C. The recess flange is 100mm.

This is the motor mount for my Thor machine Y Axis (same motor as used on my Denford for spindle here).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flange.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	21207

Hi Chaz,

I have just acquired 1/2 of a TRIAC VMC today so will follow your threads with interest. The Miller was going for scrap. Unfortunately I don't have the controller or a schematic but do have the monitor/PC, not that I think it of much use on its own. I have to decide if the miller is worth the time of effort to "upgrade". Even with the latest electronics/controllers its not as simple as plug and play. I agree its heavier than it looks. The C of G is not where you expect it either. The lifting eye on the top gives the game away.

Quote Originally Posted by robertpearce4 View Post
    Hi Chaz,

I have just acquired 1/2 of a TRIAC VMC today so will follow your threads with interest. The Miller was going for scrap. Unfortunately I don't have the controller or a schematic but do have the monitor/PC, not that I think it of much use on its own. I have to decide if the miller is worth the time of effort to "upgrade". Even with the latest electronics/controllers its not as simple as plug and play. I agree its heavier than it looks. The C of G is not where you expect it either. The lifting eye on the top gives the game away.
    I noticed your post over on the Denford forum earlier.
    Without the control box, there will be a lot more wiring needed done, but there's nothing insurmountable if you really want to get the machine running.
    From the photos you posted over on the Denford forum, you've got a BT30 spindle (it's got an 8 position tool changer), and stepper motors.
    Ultimately to get it running, you'd need 3 stepper drivers (plus suitable power supply), a spindle drive, some form of controller, and lots of relays.

If you do decide not to keep it, I'd be interested. I've got a BT35 spindle version, but would quite like a BT30 version as toolholders are far easier to get, so I could swap the required bits.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I noticed your post over on the Denford forum earlier.
    Without the control box, there will be a lot more wiring needed done, but there's nothing insurmountable if you really want to get the machine running.
    From the photos you posted over on the Denford forum, you've got a BT30 spindle (it's got an 8 position tool changer), and stepper motors.
    Ultimately to get it running, you'd need 3 stepper drivers (plus suitable power supply), a spindle drive, some form of controller, and lots of relays.

If you do decide not to keep it, I'd be interested. I've got a BT35 spindle version, but would quite like a BT30 version as toolholders are far easier to get, so I could swap the required bits.
    Hi Chaz,

Thanks for your quick reply. I obtained a battery powered folk lift truck (FLT) from the same source...with 50% of the battery's shot. I used the FLT to move the miller with the aid of some deep cycle battery's. I need to do a little more reasearch on the cost, time, effort, choice of controllers + do I need a miller....etc before I write it off. My current urgent need is to buy a small metal lathe (Viceroy) off a friend in Magor now that I have 3 Phase on site.. Dare I ask what its worth to you? Can you swap the toolholder easily between machines? Yours for mine? I don't need this functionality and it probably complicates the control electronics. BTW I am near Welshpool. You would need to collect. There is a slim possibility the controller is about in the factory it came from. I need to have a search now I know what I'm looking for.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread Information