. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You could use a ramped profile with very shallow DOC to mark the slot to around 2mm depth prior to cutting it, a bit like using a marking knife in conventional woodwork to prevent torn surface edges on saw cuts.
    Last edited by magicniner; 03-01-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You could use a ramped profile with very shallow DOC to mark the slot to around 2mm depth prior to cutting it, a bit like using a marking knife in conventional woodwork to prevent torn surface edges on saw cuts.
    That does make sense though the software that I am currently using to generate gCode does not support that.
    I will look in to CNCUSB as that allows some creation of code independently.
    Here is a picture of the kind of thing I am experiencing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuts.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	23534

I suspect that if I 'face off' the entire piece after this work then the problem will be removed but I am just wondering, should it be like this? Is it the wood? Is it the tool? Is it the feed rate or speed?

Kind regards
    Richard

A downcut spiral is what you want to use.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Sometimes if I want a small chamfer around the pocket I do an engrave cut first with a V tool, this leaves a nice edge but I only use hardwood and that always leaves a better edge than pine anyway.
    A straight flute cutter would be better than the one you use at the moment or as suggested a down spiral generally works best.
    These cutters give me good results at great prices; https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...er+Bits/sd2579
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thank you for that - I shall head over there now.

I am only playing on the soft wood at present but I will take a look at the down spiral bit to see how that improves things.
    Kind regards
    Richard

I am currently looking at part no. RDM62760 from here: https://routercutter.co.uk/rdm62760

Given that I am looking for a spiral end mill down cutter with 6mm shank, it looks like that is the thing.

Am I close?

Kind regards

Richard

A few other candidates here http://www.trendproductsonline.co.uk...ters-850-c.asp . The negative aspect of downcut cutters is that because of the shaving being pushed down and having no easy escape route it can get a bit warm and make the motor work a bit harder.Not normally a problem with sharp cutters.

Hello and thank you for that - I have been looking around at tools trying to find a downcut one - so far I have only found down+up cot ones which I don't think is what I want.
    Might you be able to point me in a suitable direction - perhaps to a recommended supplier?
    Kind regards
    Richard

Thread Information