. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A downcut spiral is what you want to use.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Sometimes if I want a small chamfer around the pocket I do an engrave cut first with a V tool, this leaves a nice edge but I only use hardwood and that always leaves a better edge than pine anyway.
    A straight flute cutter would be better than the one you use at the moment or as suggested a down spiral generally works best.
    These cutters give me good results at great prices; https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...er+Bits/sd2579
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thank you for that - I shall head over there now.

I am only playing on the soft wood at present but I will take a look at the down spiral bit to see how that improves things.
    Kind regards
    Richard

I am currently looking at part no. RDM62760 from here: https://routercutter.co.uk/rdm62760

Given that I am looking for a spiral end mill down cutter with 6mm shank, it looks like that is the thing.

Am I close?

Kind regards

Richard

A few other candidates here http://www.trendproductsonline.co.uk...ters-850-c.asp . The negative aspect of downcut cutters is that because of the shaving being pushed down and having no easy escape route it can get a bit warm and make the motor work a bit harder.Not normally a problem with sharp cutters.

Thank you for that. It seems that the dimensions of those cutters must mostly be based on imperial measurements even though they are expressing in mm - would that be right?
    I have heard that I should limit the plunge depth to 75% of the tool diameter. I plan to extract the shavings via vacuum - most probably hand held close to the bit. One aspect of what I want to do is to remove most of the inside of a small block of wood measuring roughly 200 x 80 x 40 mm - I guess I could use the down cut bit first for the extremity of this cut and use an up cut bit to remove the bulk where the surface tearing would be irrelevant. Is that kind of process common practice?
    Kind regards
    Richard

Perhaps you want a router bit for cutting wood and a milling cutter for cutting metal?

Hello and thank you for that - I have been looking around at tools trying to find a downcut one - so far I have only found down+up cot ones which I don't think is what I want.
    Might you be able to point me in a suitable direction - perhaps to a recommended supplier?
    Kind regards
    Richard

Thread Information