Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
How dose that pick up work? if I may ask. coil winding is next on the list of machines to build. after mill, router, raduis machine and inlay cutter....

Are each of the coils feed back to amp/processor individualy or are they conected in series for better string balance?

Sorry to interupt the thead..
No probs...I've been scant with the details because after all, this is more of a mechanical-centric forum than an electronics forum. The small coils I intend winding aren't actually pickups (I used the term as it was simpler!).

These coils will actually be sustainer coils. The intention being to keep the guitar strings sustaining as long as the player wants them to. It does this by tapping off the guitar's standard pickup output signal, amplifying it & feeding the signal into these coils...this creates a varying magnetic field...& the guitar strings are ferrous so react to the mahgnetic field.

the coil is the easy bit...the tricky/creative bit is coming up with a good circuit to drive the coils!

re the pickup winder...it really is a heath robinson, but essentially it's a main motor, with an encoder disk mounted on iT (a CD label containing a lot of black/white stripes). I created an electronic circuit to synch the main motor with a stepper motor (buy counting the black stripes). It's via the shaft of the 'synchronized' stepper that the enamelled copper wire feeds onto the coil core.

Because there is so little room to fit my sustainer device (I don't want to route the guitar body), I reckonedthat the only way forward for these coils was to go bobbinless (coils/pickups are normally have a bobbin, upon which the copper wire is fed onto...but the bobbin itself takes space). That's when I had to throw open my plight to this forum...Dean kindly offered to get involved & help out.