. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Does Part2 turn with the magnet ? - I'd worry about the run-out of the M8 thread coupling. If it doesn't I suggest you make it turn with the other end, else the coil will drag.
    Yes part 2 will be turning in sympathy with part 1 (which has the motor). I have to admit this is the most troubling bit. Essentially this will be a similar setup to what you see on a lathe tailstock...excepot it';s a right heath robinson cheapsjaket's version. A bit more meat...

Part 2 will connect to a length of m8 threaded rod (I will connect it via one of these ... http://www.tinyurl.com/ny63ds ) One other option is to have part 2 with a tapped M8 hole - & the M8 threaded rod screwed directly into it...I'm not sure what the best option would be?

ok, so now part 2 is affixed to a a length of M8 rod. Along this M8 rod will be some roller skate bearings (yes, you heard me right), these in turn will be held by some SK16 mounts ( http://tinyurl.com/nw8tlp
    the outer diameter of the skate bearing is 16mm...the inner dimension is 8mm, so these are ideal). ok, so there you have it...part 2 is now mounterd horizontally into some M8 threaded rod, which turns within some skate bearings held steady by the Sk16 mounts - I told you it was a heath robinson!

Part 2 will then be pressed up agaist the magnet. If everything align (if!!!), then the magnet should turn easily & be held stable & 'true'.

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Drilling a 0.5mm hole more than a few mm deep might prove interesting. Presumably you only need the hole to be 0.Xmm near the coil end, so most of the length of the hole could be larger. Actually, a slot might be of more use than a hole (saves that 'threading the needle' problem)
    That's a great point ...you are right, it would only be the last bit that would need to be 0.5mm....the rest of the hole could be larger. The slot is another good option, but I'm not sure what the optimum wire size is yet (to determine the slot). I do know from the few times I've tried to wind these coils that the 'loose' threaded end, ideally needs to exit the edge (ie part 1 'small hole') at the actual perimeter of the magnet core ....else it interferes with the coil 'neatness' (& I'd like this to look neat, since it's going on my guitar!)

Some great points though....thanks!

Since posting, I'm now seriously considering using the fact I need these parts as an excuse to buy a hobby desktop lathe ...her indoors won't be happy, but hey "McSpank-ess, shut it!"
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 18-06-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Information