. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemsworthlad View Post
    Hello Hank,

How big a hurry are you in!! . . . . . . . . If no rush IE: next week will do then i will "try" to make you this part, TRY being the word. probably take be a few go,s being so small.
    Dont want anything for doing it just cover the postage thats all.
    Will need you to send me the magnets for test fit.
    Q: how are you going to wind these coils. . . .IE do they fasten to winding machine or some device you made?

IF you want it doing send me a PM with ya details and well av a natter.
    Cheers
    Dean.
    Wow Dean...thanks! Certainly the internet working at its finest!

I'll PM you, but keep this thread running as there are some good points being made (I'm not really an engineering type...just a part time kludger - my area is more electronics), re your question...

Hello Hank,

Q: how are you going to wind these coils. . . .IE do they fasten to winding machine or some device you made?

you'll not believe this but here goes anyway (& no laughing at the back!)...

I have a reasonably powerful 48V DC fan ...in the middle of this fan I hot glued (yes, you heard right!) a 13mm drill chuck. It took a bit of effort, but I eventually I got the chuck centred pretty much perfectly in the middle of the fan (hot glue is excellent for this as you can keep reheating it until you get it right - also there's not a lot of load going top be placed on this setup, so no worries about it falling off) . Ok, so now I have a turning mechanism capable of holding 'rod'. The problem was that at 48V it turned *way* too fast, so I knocked up a PWM DC motor speed controller. I can now start the fan from static up to any speed I care to nominate. So in short, part 1 will be held in place by 13mm drill chuck jaws.

Not realted to my needs, but just for some background info, to get really slick I made an encoder wheel (a circle with 192 black on white stripes radiating out from the centre)....this is attached to a CD and stuck to the fan blades. I then knocked up an electronic circuit to count the black stipes as they pass an optical pickup. This give me two things...

1. The RPM.

2. the distance travelled - this bit allows me to 'synchronize' a stepper motor to move back & forward as the main motor turns - this stepper has a bit of plastic M8 threaded rod inserted over the stepper shaft. I then feed the copper wire over this plastic M8 threaded plastic onto the rod held by the drill chuck & it traverses left to right in perfect syncronism. To get an idea of this last bit, look here - [http://www.tinyurl.com/m4mmfl (from about 27 secons, in - that's not my video, but I've got a similar setup except the wire I'm using is hair thin!)

Convoluted, but like I say, there's not a whole lot of budget...& you can't exactly buy such coil winding machines at the local MachinMart! Therfore I've had to get creative!

I'll try & get a photo posted up tonight.
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 18-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.

:clap: MR Creative.

Will you have to sync the stepper and the motor so they turn together at the same speed?
    Yes, but this bit has been sorted...ie no matter what speed the main motor turns at, the stepper adjust its traversal speed accordingly.

A bit nerdy but here we go...

If the copper wire width is 0.2mm in diameter, then I know for every turn of the main motor, the stepper motor has to rotate the plastic M8 threaded rod on its shaft sufficiently to move the wire exactly 0.2mm to the left (or right). M8 threaded rod has a 1.25mm pitch, therefore all I need is a simple PIC program to count/map 'black stripe incoming pulses' from the main motor, to stepper pulses out.

For example, the program is typically doing this "For every 10 black stripes received , send a pulse to the stepper" ...it took a while to sort, but it works perfectly. You might think this is a lot of work for a simple guitar part, but I wanted to learn about steppers anyway (I was about to build my own CNC mill) & I also wanted to learn about PIC proramming - I'm the type that needs an end goal to motivate myself enough to do it!

I hope i'm not clouding the issue here...wrt the parts I need, this stepper traversal bit isn't a factor!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 18-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.

In the latest Digital Machinists magazine there is an article on a small coil winder by Weston Bye.

If you want I'll scan it later tonight [ got 102 winch levers to keyway this afternoon - aahhgg - crap job as they are a blind bore ] and can't play....................

John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    In the latest Digital Machinists magazine there is an article on a small coil winder by Weston Bye.

If you want I'll scan it later tonight [ got 102 winch levers to keyway this afternoon - aahhgg - crap job as they are a blind bore ] and can't play....................

hi John,

that'd be interesting, but only do it if you're at a loose end....my coil winder is done (could have done with the article 4 months ago!) ...but I'm always interested in stuff like this (it'd probably draw in a few people onto this site if Google steers them this way too)

Thread Information