. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemsworthlad View Post
    :clap: MR Creative.

Will you have to sync the stepper and the motor so they turn together at the same speed?
    Yes, but this bit has been sorted...ie no matter what speed the main motor turns at, the stepper adjust its traversal speed accordingly.

A bit nerdy but here we go...

If the copper wire width is 0.2mm in diameter, then I know for every turn of the main motor, the stepper motor has to rotate the plastic M8 threaded rod on its shaft sufficiently to move the wire exactly 0.2mm to the left (or right). M8 threaded rod has a 1.25mm pitch, therefore all I need is a simple PIC program to count/map 'black stripe incoming pulses' from the main motor, to stepper pulses out.

For example, the program is typically doing this "For every 10 black stripes received , send a pulse to the stepper" ...it took a while to sort, but it works perfectly. You might think this is a lot of work for a simple guitar part, but I wanted to learn about steppers anyway (I was about to build my own CNC mill) & I also wanted to learn about PIC proramming - I'm the type that needs an end goal to motivate myself enough to do it!

I hope i'm not clouding the issue here...wrt the parts I need, this stepper traversal bit isn't a factor!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 18-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Thread Information